Fun In The 'Wash


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we're now officially on the road having picked up our wheels from New York. Unfortunatly, Dollar Car Hire stiffed us (tell your friends) on the agreed Dodge Charger and tried to offload some Lincoln (naff car) on us. After 30 mins of haggling/complaining, they gave us the keys to a brand new Dodge Avenger with a paint job we've since been told is called "Go Man Go!" red. Its way cool and we're really chuffed to have such a cool car to take us Pan-Am.

Trung took to the wheel and we did a quick lap of honour around Central Park before cutting up through Times Square and out of New York via New Jersey. Once on the interstate, we switched seats and I took the wheel which was the first time I've driven a car since passing my test 20 mths ago. So quite a baptism of fire, straight onto the New York to Washington Inter State. It was exciting but also a relief to reach Washington DC at night. After hunting around for a motel that we could afford for about 2 hrs, we finally found a place to spend the night.

The next day, we
took in the typical Washington landmarks like the White House, Capitol Hill (Senate), Cleopatra's Needle and a number of war memorials. I really liked Washington and found it to be a pretty attractive city, lots of green, trees, big grand pillared buildings. Good lordy, it was hot though. My gizmo watch reckoned it was 37c. Phew - too hot baby!

In the evening, we set off to continue our journey south to New Orleans. Luckily, we made a very smart move and left the boring Inter States and highways to take a beautiful route through the Apalachian Mountain range and the Shenandoah National Park. On entering the reserve, the ranger on the toll gate said we had a good chance of seeing deer and bear! He wasnt wrong about the deer as we had a really awesome dusk drive along the Skyline Drive section of the route, driving at 4000ft along ridge roads. Halfway through, we came off the mountains to find a motel in Luray. The next day, we continued along the Blue Ridge section and what views! On either sides of the road, sheer drops down to thick, lush forest canopy a way down below.

It was just the kind of thing I'd hoped for from the American road trip and it really now feels like we are properly on our way West : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



14th August 2007

RAIN - WEANS - PAINS
It's the summer, ( Scottish ) school holidays hissing down, family doin ma head in and i've got the s---s !!!!!! You enjoy yourself PAL !!! I'M NOT JEALOUS HONEST Rory
12th March 2014
The White House - Back Door

Actually the front
The North Lawn faces Pennsylvania Ave, the House's address. The South Lawn, the side we're used to seeing in media and photos, is actually the back.

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb