Day Four- June 17, 2010 Tampa to Montreal Tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Delaware » Smyrna
June 30th 2010
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Smyrna, DE, 17 miles from Camden

Wayside Inn 7:30am.

A friendly greeting by Capt Wil Bordley with an early breakfast before we head on to New York.


260 miles/ 6 hours

I am a day behind on the blog, because all the work I did last night would not save and was lost. Could have used those hours for sleep! Another technical difficulty to resolve...

The best driving day anyone could ask for. The cold front has blown in, and it may feel like gale force winds, but the temperature is cool and we are very grateful for that. A little tough driving the New Jersey Turnpike and then the Garden State Parkway, but the only good thing about traffic is the amount of attention, thumbs up, and truckers' horns signaling their approval of the grand old lady cruising amongst all the youngster cars. Eventually we get to US17 again and it becomes a beautiful drive into the Catskill Mountains. We made a side trip to see the infamous "Woodstock" from the Hippie years of Rock-N-Roll. We should have remembered the movie better, because of course Woodstock the Festival did not actually happen in Woodstock! We met some great folks at the Woodstock Art District though, and it was another beautiful drive.

We don't stop for lunch, because truthfully, we eat far more than we exercise on this trip, and can afford to skip a meal!

We are driving through some historic areas with homes and churches dating in the 1700's. Lovely small communities in the Catskill Mountains with manicured flower and vegetable gardens.

However...wow the gas is expensive. Our first stop in NY we paid $2.80. We thought that was a lot until we later saw $2.85!

Arrive 5:30pm

Mrs. K's Kitchen, Main St., Middleburgh, NY 6:05pm

The last stop on our Rotary speaking tour, and it was the most friendly welcome yet! We pull up to the restaurant to see a special parking place coned off in the street in front, with a welcome sign made just for us. As soon as they spot us drive by and begin to make our u-turn (a tradition in the family) the whole club came outside to wave and clap. Now that is a warm welcome! We come inside to a healthy dinner of homemade vegetable soup, crab salads, desert and take-away chocolate gift bags. Did I say take-away chocolates?! Yummm. So many folks stayed late afterwards, we really felt like we have to come by again very soon to visit our new friends.

Welcome to our newest member of the ACHAFR, Matthew Coltrain! Matt drove his 1926 Model T to the meeting, and joined the fellowship straight away. He then took us after the meeting to see a very unique "Westmobile" he brought back to life. This car is a replica built by a son whose father built the original "Westmobile" in 1901 in Middleburgh NY. Matts other claim to fame, he is the youngest Coroner in the state of New York!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Middleburgh NYMiddleburgh NY
Middleburgh NY

One of a kind.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 54; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb