The Shady Handshake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
September 15th 2009
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Thompson Canyon1 73 secs
2: Bog Hot Springs Nevada 69 secs
3: Hart Mtn Hot Springs 98 secs
Collared Lizard.Collared Lizard.Collared Lizard.

This male catches some shade while wondering where the little lady has gone.
"Worry is rust upon the blade."
John Lubbock

Give up the traveling road you say.... Rubbish! And so once again we found ourselves upon the open road going from point A to point B. Sure there's the minutia of moving from Oregon to Colorado Take #2. But whats a trip without the side detours. "All that matters is that two stood against many" (slips into a Conan based fantasy where clover wears a skimpy loin cloth as we ride out into the open wastelands).

First stop of note, Hart Mtn. Hot Springs. If you find yourself with time to spare while passing through Lake View Oregon then we highly suggest stopping by to enjoy this little treasure trove of delights. Not only can you view one of the largest fault block exposures in North America but you can get some stunning basaltic views and you work your way to a nick soaking spot. It's remote, it's quite, and it's worth a stop.

Second stop... Oh damn, almost been a year since I was supposed to post this. So instead of making up some witty text I'm just gonna publish it and call it a day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hart Mtn. Hot Springs OregonHart Mtn. Hot Springs Oregon
Hart Mtn. Hot Springs Oregon

This is a hot little pool!
Second Pool at Hart Mtn.Second Pool at Hart Mtn.
Second Pool at Hart Mtn.

This is a fun little pool that is nice and deep.
Ruby Mtn.s NevadaRuby Mtn.s Nevada
Ruby Mtn.s Nevada

If you haven't hiked here you should.
Ruby Mtn delight.Ruby Mtn delight.
Ruby Mtn delight.

Who would of ever thought that this was Nevada.
Pepper becomes a lady!Pepper becomes a lady!
Pepper becomes a lady!

Pepper hates the idea of Diapers and dating.
On the Marble SlabsOn the Marble Slabs
On the Marble Slabs

Now how can I get these rock slabs home.
Dino bones!Dino bones!
Dino bones!

Pepper isn't impressed with the stegosaurus bones since it's about 101F.
Palisade Peaches.Palisade Peaches.
Palisade Peaches.

If you don't know about them then you should.
Life at the CO. Ren Fair.Life at the CO. Ren Fair.
Life at the CO. Ren Fair.

Now that's what I'm talking about.
Thompson CanyonThompson Canyon
Thompson Canyon

Tons of great Petroglyphs in this area.
Pepper AC UnitPepper AC Unit
Pepper AC Unit

Summertime in Nevada with no AC is murder!
Old Mining StuctureOld Mining Stucture
Old Mining Stucture

San Juan Mtns Colorado.


18th April 2010

Ruby baby
Our geology field camp was in Eureka, Nevada. The last mapping course was to map metamorphic rocks in the Ruby Mtns. We hiked all over those mtns for a week. Saw many a mtn goat. It is amazing these mtns are in the Nevada area. Really enjoyed them back in the day.

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0985s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb