Rocky Mountain National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Rocky Mountains
September 23rd 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The weather continues to be cloudy and either raining or snowing depending upon the elevation. This morning we checked the road conditions in Rocky Mountain National Park and found out that Ridge Trail, the main east west route was closed due to snow. The ranger suggested that we go to Bear Lake where there was a short trail and he said that the Aspens were in full colour.
It was a one mile trail around the lake so I decided to take it. What an absolutely gorgeous walk. The air was very cool and fresh and silent and a very light snow began to fall. On one side, the lake was still and the coloured Aspens were reflecting in the water. That was one memorable walk for sure.
From Bear Lake we continued on a scenic Highway 7 and came across St Malo. St Malo is a Roman Catholic christian retreat. The chapel is seen from the road and appear to be growing out of a massive granite boulder. The founder of Camp St. Malo, Monsignor Joseph Bosetti, had for years entertained an idea that one day he would build a chapel on this site. In 1916 he and two friends observed a falling meteor during the night and in his search for the remnants the next morning, he came across the large granite rock. The beauty of the land inspired the priest and he remembered Jesus’ words to Peter: “Upon this rock, I will build my Church.” Vowing one day to build a chapel here, Msgr. Bosetti prayed for nearly 20 years to acquire the funds. During time, he found himself in a constant battle with the Colorado Highway department which had plans to dynamite the enormous piece of granite to both widen and straighten the curve in the road.
Eventually, Msgr. Bosetti won the battle and years later, when the chapel became a reality, it was reported that a group of engineers who laid out the road came to the dedication and thanked him for his perseverance.
The chapel is beautiful and I spent a short time there taking some photos.
On the way back to the hotel We stopped in Longmont for dinner. High temp for the day had been in the mid 50's and low was 36. Our wildlife sightings for the day included mule deer and elk.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 98; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb