Tango in Durango (Colorado)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Durango
August 9th 2012
Published: August 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A one-nighter, we arrived in Durango, Colorado in the late afternoon and were met by a thunderstorm. But that didn't stop us from devouring the city, mostly to cleanse our palate following a disappointing two night stay in Taos. Happy to be moving on, we hit the ground running! This town was a perfect salve to a crowded, uneventful last stop in New Mexico.

Colorado is always like coming home. Every time I've ever traveled here (Colorado Springs, Grand Junction and now Durango), I've immediately felt right at home. This stop was no different. A college town with a historic downtown area, we set off to make the best of our overnight stay.

We ran a few errands and picked up missing provisions and then walked down mainstreet, visiting a few shops and ending up on a rooftop patio cantina for a drink. Unfortunately, the thunderstorm followed us and soon we were sitting in the rain enjoying the dark skies and a lord of the flies moment. And, they were biting flies. When the staff brough out the sticky fly paper and began sheltering the patrons from the unforgiving weather, we closed out our tab and made our way OFF the metal catwalk.

Our next stop was to Lady Falconburgh's Barley Exchange - yes, specializing in beer! We each enjoyed a pint - I had Boulevard ZON Witbier and Jimmy ordered a red ale. We next shared a couple of samplers - four 2oz tasters from the beers they had on tap. Fun to try different beers when you don't have to commit to a full glass. And finally, we shared a glass of Chimay Tripel, a fantastic Belgian.

With an early start planned for the next morning, we retired to a VERY full hotel and called it a night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb