Lost Lake


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

PaoniaPaoniaPaonia

Baseball before breakfast - look I'm a natural
We set up camp as soon as we arrived and got on with the task of looking for firewood, basically anything dry. Then I set about putting up the tent and unpacking everything from the car whilst Rich built the fire. 10 mins later, just as Rich was about to light the carefully constructed fire, the storm clouds decided to give us everything they had. For the next two hours we sat in the car, with some candles, waiting for the storm to pass. Later that night, Rich cooked an amazing spicey bean stew on the fire and we went to bed dry and ready for the hike tomorrow.

After taking down the camp and packing everything up, we set off around the lake to a waterfall we had spotted the previous day. It was quite a way up and there didn't look to be a path but we were up for the challenge.

After scrambling over rocks and through the forest, we eventually came across a narrow path that eventually led to Lost Lake. Wow! And what a sight the lake was: clear and oasis-like.
Both Rich and I immediately peeled off our clothes and waded straight into the water. I quickly ran straight out! It was icy cold.

Rich, looking freezing, kept persuading me it was gorgeous and refreshing once you got the water over your shoulders. It took me about 15 mins to finally achieve this and once done, was quickly tempted by lying on warm rocks in the sun.

We continued on to try and get to the waterfall and about an hour later we crossed the river and scaled up the rocks to a spot level to it. At the top of the waterfall, looking out over the series of lakes we had a spot of lunch - rolled up tortilla with cheese & mustard. Happiness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Lost LakeLost Lake
Lost Lake

Only slightly ruined by hearing Jean shouting to her husband: "Stan, you've gotten your hat on crooked"
Lost LakeLost Lake
Lost Lake

We walked around it, not quite all the way around as the light was going and we had no torches with us.
RichRich
Rich

Watching the sun go down at Lost Lake
Bum cheeksBum cheeks
Bum cheeks

This made me cry with laughter. So childish.
Lost LakeLost Lake
Lost Lake

We went swimming in it but it was absolutely freezing.
Lost LakeLost Lake
Lost Lake

Yours truly drying off
Off the beaten trackOff the beaten track
Off the beaten track

We had just scrambled over rocks, past many a beaver curiously watching us from behind rocks.


3rd September 2008

cheers to you and camping!
carbondale is a teeny tiny town i used to know well -i drove past it on my way home to aspen. you should have tried johny mcguire's for a delicious melty, saucy sandwich although it could be in basalt the next tiny town down the road!

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb