Ashcroft Ski Touring - Aspen, CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Aspen
January 29th 2012
Published: January 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In 1971, the White River National Forest issued a unique special permit and Ashcroft became the first self-sustaining cross-country ski area in the U.S. Located 12 miles above Aspen in the upper reaches of spectacular Castle CreekValley, the ski area offers excellent terrain for all levels of Nordic skiers. Thirty-five kilometers of meticulously groomed trails wind across 600 acres in the sub-alpine valley surrounding the Ghost Town of Ashcroft, a turn-of-the-century mining town designated on the National Register of Historical Places. At an elevation of 9,500 feet .

The winter season runs Thanksgiving day until early April

A full-day pass to use the trail system is $15; a half-day pass (after 12:30 p.m.) is $10. There are special rates for senior citizens and children. Ashcroft offers skiing trails, groomed for classic and skate styles, and separate snowshoe trails. Ski and snowshoe equipment packages are available to rent for $20.

The trails at Ashcroft wind through about 600 acres of mostly national forest land, leased for the operation, including winding trails through Aspen groves, open meadows and River Run — a must-do trail along gurgling Castle Creek.

Headquarters for the ski touring operation is the old King Cabin, located at 9,500 feet and open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily throughout the season. Phone: 925-1971. Purchase a pass to use the system and rent equipment there. Lessons are also available. A 90-minute ski lesson for at least two people is $55 per person, including pass and rentals. Private lessons are $55 for 90 minutes; the pass and rental equipment is not included in that price. A private, full-day lesson is $125, plus rentals and trail pass.

Dogs are not permitted on the trail system, but are allowed on the public road that heads up the valley from the King Cabin. Expect to encounter a horse-drawn sleigh on the road, other skiers, pedestrians, other dogs and snowmobiles.








Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 74; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb