King's Canyon National Park, California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
May 17th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

King’s Canyon National Park, California May 17, 2008
Today we drove north to King’s Canyon. Sequoia and King’s Canyon are close together and are almost a combined park. There is a lot of wilderness and diversity in these two parks.We took our time and stopped at overlooks and spent most of the morning on the road. King’s Canyon is one of the deepest canyons in North America, even deeper than the Grand Canyon. The canyon floor is about 8,000 ft below the highest mountain peak. The mountains are granite, like Yosemite. From the overlooks we could see the raging King River below, Before long we reached the canyon floor and followed the river rapids for miles. It was a scenic drive and it was a very warm day.
The park facilities are not completely open. We had no trouble finding a campsite in the one available campground. It’s not crowded. We took a short hike in the afternoon around a meadow. It had once been a lake but silt from the river filled it in. I was disappointed there were no wildflowers blooming.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

RiversideRiverside
Riverside

The wind blew the river spray into the open car window. The road followed the river.
Grizzley FallsGrizzley Falls
Grizzley Falls

Lots of water made it a forceful waterfall. You felt the spray when you took photos
Roaring River FallsRoaring River Falls
Roaring River Falls

Another raging waterfall in King's Canyon.
The Meadow HikeThe Meadow Hike
The Meadow Hike

You looked up at granite cliffs across the meadow.
Bracken FernBracken Fern
Bracken Fern

Ferns were everywhere.


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb