Yosemite National Park


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Approaching YosemiteApproaching YosemiteApproaching Yosemite

Approaching the Sierras. Due to a mixup in reservations at campgrounds within the park, we stayed at an RV park just beyond Mariposa.
One of the major reasons that we chose to drive to the west coast was to visit our two sons who live in Berkeley, CA and Portland, Oregon. We spent several weeks in the San Francisco-Berkeley area at a regional park between Oakland and Castro Valley. This park and some of our adventures in the area will be the subject of another blog. Instead of doing a lot of “city” stuff in the area, we and Nick spent five wonderful days in Yosemite National Park.

March is a wonderful time to go to Yosemite. There are not huge crowds. In the valley, flowers are blooming; at higher elevations, there was plenty of snow for skiing. Downhill and cross country skiing were both in full swing at Badger Pass while cross country skiing was available elsewhere also. We spent two wonderful afternoons on the snow cross country skiing. The other days were spent exploring and hiking some of the country’s most beautiful terrain. We hope you enjoy the following small sampling of the many photos we took.




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

WildflowersWildflowers
Wildflowers

Route 140 provides a wonderfully scenic approach to the the western edge of the park at El Portal, mostly following the dramatic Merced River.
FoothillsFoothills
Foothills

Grazing cattle, foothills and Sierras in the distance.
Merced RiverMerced River
Merced River

The Merced River, runs through the Yosemite Valley and is a thing of beauty. There are abundant riffles, runs, and pools with cobble, boulders (some as large as a fire engine), and gravel. We saw some large salmonids from a distance. Lynn and Jon were not tempted to try kayaking in the Merced River.
LandslideLandslide
Landslide

This is a major landslide that eliminated a section of one of the major routes into the park. There are now tons of debris for hundreds of feet above the former roadway extending into the beautiful Merced River below. Any dislodging of debris would greatly affect the river and whole valley. Two bridges have rerouted traffic to the other side of the river where there is a one-lane road only. Quite a quandary!
Yosemite ValleyYosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley

The Yosemite Valley contains the "post card" peaks, waterfalls, and tourist attractions. Free shuttle buses are available from central parking areas in the valley.
Granite MonumentsGranite Monuments
Granite Monuments

These huge granite cliffs are the icons of Yosemite.
Merced River PoolMerced River Pool
Merced River Pool

The river flows through the valley as a pool. Children must throw stones into water everywhere!
Son NickSon Nick
Son Nick

Our son Nick--architects always dress in black.
Mule DeerMule Deer
Mule Deer

Mule deer feeding by the path.
Family ShotFamily Shot
Family Shot

Nick, Lynn, and Moxie in the Yosemite Valley. Note Bridalveil Falls to the right of Nick's shoulder; El Capitan is to the left of Lynn's head. Moxie is more interested in the ground squirrels.
Yosemite FallsYosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls

Upper Yosemite falls seen from the Yosemite Falls trail. This is the tallest free-falling waterfall in the continental US.
El CapitanEl Capitan
El Capitan

El Capitan from the Yosemite Valley.
Family ShotFamily Shot
Family Shot

Yosemite Falls as a back drop from the Swinging bridge.
The AhwahneeThe Ahwahnee
The Ahwahnee

The Ahwahnee--a historic hotel. We had dinner there one evening. Very memorable, but also memorably expensive.
View of Yosemite ValleyView of Yosemite Valley
View of Yosemite Valley

View from the road to Glacier Point and Wawona.
Valley View Road BelowValley View Road Below
Valley View Road Below

View from the road to Glacier Point and Wawona.
LickensLickens
Lickens

This particular licken was abundant on the trunks and branches of trees along the Glacier Point road.
SnowpackSnowpack
Snowpack

Snowpack on the road to the ski area at Badger Pass.
Nick and Lynn SkiNick and Lynn Ski
Nick and Lynn Ski

On the trail! Badger Pass provides numerous cross-country ski trails including the road to Glacier Point.
Lunch BreakLunch Break
Lunch Break

Lunch Break along the Glacier Point road. Moxie stayed at home in the trailer. Temperature was in the low 50's (°F).


2nd April 2008

great photos
miss it already, nick
4th April 2008

Spring is here..for now
Looks like you had a wonderful trip to Yosemite, but we cant wait for you to get here! Looks like spring is back after a disastrous "Ithacalike" late march. Snow in Portland in late March? I never! Its close to 60 today though...Hope your trip up the coast is glorious - the pacific coast is one of my favorite trips Rob and I ever took. Wish Nick could come too!!! Leo is looking forward to spending some QT with Moxie and we will be sure to show you a great time on the coast as well as introducing you to the vast natural areas within our amazing city! Most of which you can get to by bike or train. See you in two weeks! Loves!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb