27% Grade would not be fun


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today's drive was nauseating. California 1 (Shoreline Highway) is a nearly 100 mile stretch of curves and hills that is beautiful but sickening. The one positive was that it wasn't hot or really that sunny. Fog was coming in off the ocean and created this mystical looking haze on the trees over us but sparing the road from visibility issues. It was actually pretty sweet.

But the drive was long. And tiring. And it actually means that we decided to alter our route tomorrow to avoid having to do something similar again.

The only other exciting thing that we did today was spend some time in San Francisco. Except for the fact that we nearly kept getting lost, things went well. I drove down Lombard Street, which naturally is a 27% downhill grade but was constructed going back-and-forth to temper the hill. I loved it. We also drove past Fisherman's Wharf and AT&T Park. We attempted to find Golden Gate Park but to no avail. We just had to settle for driving across the bridge.

And then we were at Stanford. We ate at a "fake Mexican" restaurant which means it was burritos but the place served other stuff. It was pretty good, especially after the nauseating drive down CA-1 and Lombard Street. It was a rather mellow day. Tomorrow looks like it will have some more excitement!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb