Trip down the Monterrey Bay


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Strawberry fields forever...Strawberry fields forever...Strawberry fields forever...

Salinas is just inland from Moss Landing, and they provide a majority of the cabbage, artichokes and strawberries seen all over the US.
Today we traveled down to Carmel via Highway 1. On our way, we stopped at Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing. Apparently this restaurant/fish market has been featured on both "Dirty Jobs" and Bobby Flay's "Throw Down". Phil beat Bobby with his Cioppino...not surprising...food there was delicious!!!

Stopped in Monterrey to check out the wharf area. A Navy boat was tied-up there, and it was interesting to see the security involved with it. The harbor patrol was out in a small dingy, but had their rifle out, just in case...

We walked around the wharf shopping area and then drove thru the old cannery row. There were a few canneries still in operation, but it was mostly shopping in the old buildings. We then headed to Carmel...it reminded me so much of Leavenworth, but with a "5th Avenue" flair. Really small main thoroughfare, and very little parking. The shops sold cashmere, etc. so we didn't spend much time there...too crowded for us!!

We headed back up the coast and stopped at Phil's for a late lunch. We found out that the fishermen we were watching yesterday up the coast were catching squid...very interesting. There was a young man sitting next to us who does fishing and carpentry work, so he knew as soon as we explained what the fishing boat arrangement was, that they were using the smaller boats to shine the light down in the ocean, the squid would "chase" the light, then the larger boat would haul them in with the net. We determined we should spend more time in Moss Landing, so arranged a night at the harbor there for tomorrow.

Headed back to Santa Cruz to check out the "Beach Party" at the Owl's Nest at the end of the harbor. There is a free water taxi from one end of the harbor to the other, so we rode that, but the last run is at 8:30, and we were only getting on at 7:30, so figured we'd walk back "home". There were too many young people packed in and drinking too much at the Owl's Nest, so we walked down the way to Johnny's. We could see the kitchen in action...it was kind of like getting to watch one of those Gordon Ramsey shows, but without the drama...very interesting!! It was a nice stroll back down the harbor to get to the coach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Navy ShipNavy Ship
Navy Ship

Docked at Monterrey


Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.052s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb