Departure


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Andrew awaiting medical attentionAndrew awaiting medical attentionAndrew awaiting medical attention

Andrew collects frequent flyer miles in the ER. Upon hearing that Andrew was being stitched up, Lauren's comment "Let me guess, his forehead again?"
Departure day! We figured that we wanted the kids to be ready to sleep on the plane, so we got them up a bit early this morning. We walked to downtown San Mateo with the dog to get bagels. Lauren was very choked up about leaving the dog for two weeks. She suggested she might call him and was shocked to hear that some people actually do call their pets while on vacation. Kids to camp for the day. Dog seemed happy as could be left with friends in SF who agreed to care for him. Just a few loose ends to tie up… until… around 1:30 Andrew’s camp calls to tell us there has been an incident…

On the phone they made it sound like no big deal. When Sonia arrived at camp, Andrew was playing quite happily although upon inspection of his wound, she quickly determined that stitches were needed and dashed off to the ER with him. This threw the remainder of the day into chaos. John had to go back to Andrew’s camp to pick up Andrew’s friend Kelton where the counselors described Andrew’s remarkable calmness in what sounded like a horror movie. “A regular kid
Row 21A & B, preflightRow 21A & B, preflightRow 21A & B, preflight

Perkier here than at the end of the flight...
would have gone into shock - Andrew said that he needed a band-aid”. Now short on time and needing to get Lauren, John attempted to cut through Hillsborough to save time. He figured with GPS navigation it should be possible, but that town is diabolically set up to keep outsiders from successfully navigating it. Meanwhile Andrew showed Sonia the urgent care facility. They don’t quite know him by name there, but he is on the frequent flyer program. He remained calm and brave through it all. Nine stitches.

4:30 pm - all back at home with 30 minutes to spare. Furniture all moved in prep for floor refinishing. All packed up including a last minute addition of gauze, bandages and special scissors so that we can remove his stitches next week… Neighbor Dan provided quality chauffeur service. Check-in, security, boarding all went smoothly and we’re off!

Advertisement



10th July 2009

I so don't need to have kids!
Its more fun just live vicariously through you guys! :) HAVE FUN!

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb