San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
November 21st 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nov 21 & 22 - San Francisco
We had more or less two days in San Francisco. Robin drove us to the ferry early (for us) on the Friday morning and we caught a cab (only one pedestrian smacked my window with his fist on the way) to our hotel.

We explored the main tourist sights along Fisherman's Wharf - the shops and restaurants of Pier 39 (we had crab for lunch, currently in season), the sea lions on the marina, the tacky souvenir shops, the cable car (we didn't ride it though) and Ghirardelli Chocolate. We went there twice!

In the evening we ate at In & Out Burger. They offer just three different types of burger (plain, cheeseburger and double cheeseburger), fries and drinks and nothing else. And they make them fresh - I don't think I've ever tasted fresher lettuce and tomato on a burger. Definitely my favourite of all the burgers so far. (I think we're up to 7). But their fries weren't as good, probably because they don't use all the chemicals that normally make fries sooo gooood.

On Saturday morning we walked to Union Square, the heart of the shopping district. We spent some time (and money) at Borders and walked around the area, enjoying watching the skaters on the outdoor ice-skating rink and the kittens in Macy's ASPCA window display.

In the afternoon we did a city tour which took us a little further out than we had managed to get on foot, through some interesting neighbourhoods - the Tenderloins, the Castro, Haight-Ashbury among others - and up to Coit Tower and Twin Peaks, where we had great views of the city. The tour finished underneath the Golden Gate Bridge at that fort they always go to on Mythbusters to talk about Civil War canons. And there's a wonderful view of the bridge there, too.

We spent the evening hanging around train stations waiting first for our bus across the Oakland Bay Bridge to Emeryville and then our train to Portland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb