California Dreaming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

bye Oregon!bye Oregon!bye Oregon!

feels like so long ago...
Mike:

This won't be the full-sized blog Sharon promised, but I'll make up for it by adding pictures!

After a mind-boggling detour due to lack of signage and a blatantly wrong guidebook, we finally set up camp in the Marin Headlands near dusk. The site was far enough from San Francisco to escape the sound of the city, but we instead had to deal with the sounds of the ocean - specifically, a foghorn which would sound every 16 seconds. I didn't pay much attention to it when I first fell asleep, but when I woke up at midnight, I began to wonder firstly why the heck it needed to go off every 16 seconds and secondly why the heck would they build a campsite where a foghorn blows every 16 seconds? And just like that, during my deep ponder-ation, it stopped. If Sharon hadn't heard it as well, I'd swear I was just going crazy. Or maybe we both have lost it...

All of the trials and tribulations in finding the site were washed away when we saw the view in the morning (see picture). Of course, Sharon wanted better, so we climbed halfway up a mountain
Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge

view from our campsite at 630am
to get another view. And then, we climbed the rest of the mountain to get another view. 'Twas magnificent from the top, but I haven't had the luxury of gear-shifting since Eureka, so when I say 'climbed' the mountain, I mean push a 200-pound bike up a wall. Sharon, with her fancy fully-functional rear derailer, gingerly ascended the slope.

We crossed the Golden Gate Bridge around noon, officially entering San Francisco. The city, so far, is really all it's 'cracked up to be' - beautiful landscapes, funky houses, and plentiful vegan cuisine. We plan to spend at least a few days here - give the bikes a well-deserved rest.

It's way past my usual bed time (about 5 hours), so that's all for now. I just couldn't resist the unlimited computer use provided by our gracious biochemist and neuroscientist hosts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

San FranciscoSan Francisco
San Francisco

we worked hard for this picture...
gratuitous touristy photogratuitous touristy photo
gratuitous touristy photo

Sharon crossing the GGB
the streetsthe streets
the streets

very steep + heavy bikes + bad brakes = no good


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb