Take me out to the ball game


Advertisement
Published: April 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Angel StadiumAngel StadiumAngel Stadium

All decked out to support our team
Well well well. Five days in and we finally hit the wall. After going non-stop from early morning until late at night we decided that it was time to have a lazy day.



Last night we returned home late again after having dinner at Captain Kidds Buffet. All you can eat for $10 per head plus tax. We were invited in to have a look at the buffet and after the kids saw the tacos, burgers and desserts the decision was made. And, it wasn't too bad either. Although what is it about all you can eat that suddenly turns people into pigs with plates piled high? I, Graham, was so embarrassed to carry my plate so grotesquely full I made Scarlett carry it and all was good!



Most of you would know that the first part of the trip is with the kids dance school although because the kids aren't actually dancing we've done our own thing every day. The tour leader has been great and actually rang this morning to apologise for waking us with a wake up call two days before as that was when the dancers had to get up and she forgot to remove us from the list. The fact she rang early this morning which actually did wake us up was an unfortunate consequence. Anyway, we'll let that slide because she has been great.



Back to today. We woke around 9:00am and started to potter around while Lisa decided that she was going to do a quick wash of the girls underwear (I've decided not to wear any for the duration...). Well! It was like the world had ended! First it was, "where's the bloody matching sock." Then, "didn't I ask you all for ALL of the washing when I started", then "you can all go and get stuffed." At that, we locked her in the bathroom and decided to spend the day at the pool. (LVS- yep left me sweating over their grungy smalls...In my defence, I have not had a full nights sleep for our entire vacation so far & there is only so much one can handle. I've heard every burp, snore, gasp & fart made by my adorable family that I finally snapped...over the washing.)



The hotel has a huge pool and a separate water park. Initially we headed
Meeting GruMeeting GruMeeting Gru

Just before we walked into the Despicable Me ride
to the pool which was almost empty and spent a lazy hour swimming around, bombing each other etc and then decided to head over to the water park. This was a smaller version of the ones you see at Wet n Wild (or if you're a worldy traveller like us, the one at the Strand at Townsville) with a few slides, water cannons and the big bucket. We spent an hour or so there until we were peckish and it was time to try Maccas (although say that name to a Yank and they don't understand who you're talking about..). Let me just say, there's no need to upsize.



After showers, change of clothes and apologies for this mornings antics we boarded a bus for Angel Stadium, home of the LA Angels baseball team. Our seats were great, three rows from the field and we loaded up on plenty of souveniers, hot dogs, beers, chilli cheese wedges, chicken tenders and fries, cotton candy and alka seltzers to sink a ship. The game was a close one with the Oakland A's hitting two runs to win in the last inning. The atmosphere was good although it's funny how
Outside the Kwik e martOutside the Kwik e martOutside the Kwik e mart

Oh those Simpsons!!!
the crowd has to be reminded to get loud!( LVS- although there were a few locals who didn't mind starting a verbal stouch in the area we were sitting...you know the type!')



An early start again the next day and we were off to Universal Studios glimpsing the Hollywood sign as we travelled down one of many freeways. Universal wasn't as big as we thought but it was still a great experience. The new Despicable Me ride opened two days earlier and as we strolled over someone said that it had been closed due to technical issues. Just as we got there Gru (lead character of the movie) was waiting for photos and the ride opened again within minutes. We were basically the first group to go in. The ride was great, a motion simulator as you 'rode' a rollercoaster amongst other things. A short while later the wait time was 70 minutes!



The studio tour was also a great experience as we saw many movie sets and were involved in a King Kong/Dinosaur fight, earthquake and had Norman Bates chase after us with a knife. We saw and did lots and all had a snooze on the way back to our hotel. Dinner was at IHOP, a pancake restaurant and it was really nice, probably the best food we've had all trip. We'll definitely eat there again (and/or open a franchise in Australia)!



The following day we took a trip into Hollywood, which was...everything you expect Hollywood to be. It was over the top with people, and wannabe's everywhere. We saw some very interesting sites. The girls took the opportunity to have a photo taken with their namesakes stars on the footpath. Well Scarlett did, Charlize Theron's star was getting a makeover although we still got a photo of it over the fence. Madam Tussauds was also a great experience although Scarlett got a little scared at the scene from Psycho behind Alfred Hitchcock!



On Hollywood Blvd there were numerous characters inviting you for photo's with them (at a price) including the most sorry looking minion, from Despicable Me, we've seen. His eye looked like it was made from a apple pie tinfoil plate!



Later in the day we took a tour up Sunset Blvd past famous sites such as The Viper Room (where
Our hotel for the night!!!Our hotel for the night!!!Our hotel for the night!!!

At universal studios just before Norman stepped out of one of the rooms carrying a large bundle
River Phoenix died) and The Whisky A Go Go where Mötley Crüe started their career. Then into Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive and finally down to Santa Monica where we had a stroll along the famous pier. Unfortunately we ran out of time to get to get to Venice Beach so I couldn't lift a few weights with the boys.



After another snooze on the bus we arrived back at the Rainforest Cafe (rain storm every 30 mins) at Disneyland for our last dinner before leaving Anaheim. We started talking about our favourite experiences and it was amazing talking about all the things we packed into the eight days. After tea it was back to the hotel to pack our bags. When we left Mebourne we had four suitcases with another four inside those. Well, in eight days we already now have six suitcases! I'm not sure how we are going to get though the rest of the trip. I've already thrown away two tshirts (and I only brought four!) just to make some more room! The girls will have to cut down on their spending (or cull). I suspect they won't do either. (LVS...we will just buy another to fill)



Thursday morning and another early start. This time to drive to John Wayne Airport at Santa Ana. The car picked us up at 7:15 and surprisingly already had some stuff in the boot so one case had to go on the back seat. The driver proceeded to drop us off at the wrong terminal and I managed to grab him as he was getting back in the car to drive us the additional mile. Unfortunately for us we think he dropped his guts getting back into the car thinking that we weren't going to get back in! We held our breath for another 5 mins! As we got organised, at the right terminal, we noticed that Southwest have kerbside check-in. A dude took our bags, gave us our boarding passes and we were done in 5 mins. How good was that!?! ( LVS-was just praying that our bags made it to our destinatîon).



Southwest don't have allocated seating. You get a number on your boarding pass and board in that order. We were A31-A34 so were 31st on and picked our own seats. It also worked really well. I am writing this at 15,000 feet, 100m south of San Francisco. First stop, buy some chaps and find the Blue Oyster bar!



Well, well, well. Time flies. It is now our last night in San Francisco. We arrived safely and caught a cab with an angry Russian taxi driver (the kids told us later that he yelled at them when we were loading the bags. Saved us from doing it though...) and arrived at the Villa Florence a beautiful boutique (read small) hotel right in the centre of town, 50m from Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy's etc. no good for us mind you. We threw our bags in the room and headed straight out on a hop on hop off bus tour. If was very informative and the guide very funny. After a full circuit we got back to our hotel, grabbed a jacket and went out again. This time we got a cab to drive us down Lombard St, the crookedest street in the world then drop us off for a night bus tour. Again, this was fantastic and the city looked great lit up. Highlights of the day were the Golden Gate Bridge, the architecture and seeing city hall and the Kezar stadium, both famous from the Dirty Harry movies (Dirty Harry was fired at city hall and shot the Scorpio killer at Kezar stadium).



San Francisco is a very unusual city. It's very gritty in parts with lots of poor areas but it also now has the most expensive rent in all of USA, just pipping New York! The streets are exactly what you see on tv. Lots of steep hills. Going up is a struggle and going down is like being on a carnival ride. We noticed that there are lots of auto repair places. They would do a roaring trade.



Today we were up early (again) to grab a ferry to Alcatraz, something I'd been looking forward to since we started planning this trip. We took a cab and had a fight with this one. (LVS- wanted to leave him a tip alright...BE NICER to your patrons if you want a proper tip. Both G and I had a loud discussion with him while the girls huddled in the back seat. Rude P#%#k...)Alcatraz was brilliant! The sheer look and feel of the place is overwhelming and the information provided was first rate. We all know about Capone, the birdman and the escape in 1962 but obviously there is so much more to the place and it was all told and shown in great detail. We spent many hours there. On the way out I grabbed a book in the shop written by a former prisoner and lo and behold as we were walking through I discovered he was there in person to sign his book. A real piece of history.



Later in the afternoon we headed back onto the bus to see the bits we missed from yesterday and more shopping while the night was rounded off with an excellent steak (salmon for Lisa, burgers for the girls). Another city ticked off our list. It went all too soon and I think we'd love to come back. Next stop Vegas where I have to try to win our return airfare!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

At the OscarsAt the Oscars
At the Oscars

On the stairs at the Dolby theatre, home of the Oscars
The Golden Gate BridgeThe Golden Gate Bridge
The Golden Gate Bridge

Funnily enough the Bay Bridge on the other side of the harbour is much more impressive
Macy's Macy's
Macy's

No Lisa. There's no need to go inside
William BakerWilliam Baker
William Baker

Former inmate at Alcatraz


20th April 2014

Take me to the ball game
It;s great seeing all the pictures, you will all need 6 months to get back to normal!!!! Mum and Dad xx
20th April 2014

Excited
Hey guys, we look forward to reading your blog each nite. Glad to see you guys are having a ball and girls glad to see you a shopping up a storm!!! Xxxx
27th April 2014
Meeting Gru

Meeting Gru
OMG You guys are so lucky, you have already met 2 times the amount if characters we did on our whole trip. I hope you guys still meet more love from Zoe.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb