Farewell Vegas hello San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco » Pacifica
October 16th 2012
Published: October 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we bid farewell to Las Vegas. We really enjoyed the stay at The Venetian, apart from the poor service at breakfast yesterday, the whole experience was just first class the whole way. The hotel is outstanding and amazing in every way.

As I type the first part of this blog we are at McCarran International Airport at Las Vegas. It really is like a scene out of Total Recall, complete with a driverless tram to get you to your departure gates and the constant monotone security announcements. We arrive in San Francisco around 3:00pm local time and we are both looking forward to the experiences that await us. We are already booked for a sunset tour of the bay and Alcatraz on Thursday and on Friday the highlight of our trip will be our much anticipated trip on the Napa Valley Wine Train for the Winemakers Lunch and tastings.

We are both finding the American people so warm and friendly, not just the wait staff but our fellow travellers. Mind you we have been asked a few times where abouts in England are we from.

Farewell Las Vegas and hello San Francisco!

Hello from San Francisco!

Although we are yet to explore this beautiful city we are definitely excited by the little bit we have seen so far in the back of the cab to our guest house. The guest house is well located, close to buses that make getting in to the heart of San Francisco pretty easy.

On our way out to dinner tonight we walked past a hairdresser that was still open so we took the opportunity for both of us to get a haircut. $32 for both of us to get our hair cut, how cheap is the states?

We have just come back from a beautiful meal at Mescalanzo, a recomended local Italian restaurant from our host Kathleen. We met up with Brigid (a school friend of Vicki's) and her lovely husband David. We chatted and chatted and chatted some more over dinner. Our wonderful waiter then sung happy birthday to Vicki in Italian while the lights were dimmed to really make the night that extra special. Brigid and David, if you read this, we sincerely thank you for a wonderful night and look forward to recipricating in kind when next you are down under.

An early night tonight after some late ones in Las Vegas. Our plans for tomorrow include Fisherman's Wharf and some retail therapy around Union Square.

No photos today as we really have been in transit between returning our Budget car and doing the whole security screening thing that is air travel in this beautiful country.

Advertisement



17th October 2012

While at Fisherman's Wharf
Hi Guys, while you are at Fisherman's Wharf, for retail theraphy, try Ghirardelli Square, 900 North Point Street, nearest cross street is Larkin Street. Great retail area and food / restaurants. Was there some time ago and very impressed. It's about 4-5 blocks away (1 km) and worth the trip. Also, don't forget Lombard Street at Russian Hill, about another 3 blocks away from Ghirardelli Square - between Hyde & Leavenworth Street. The most winding street in the world. Anyway, a couple of good things to see if you can. Michael
17th October 2012

San Francisco
Hi there, I was in San Francisco in March and I loved it. The Palace of the Arts is worth a look, we walked across the Golden Gate and back, that was really cool. Alcatraz amazing but what I really enjoyed was a walking tour of Castro, do you remember the movie Milk? it was about the politican Harvey Milk who was assassinated - it's a really interesting place. Also the Haight is a good suburb to go and see. The trains are cheap enough to take anywhere, we didn't hire a car until we left San Francisco for LA. Enjoy ! Can't wait to here what you get up to, it was my favourite city.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb