One Month After the Return Home...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco » Pacifica
September 21st 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

It has now been one month since our return to the San Francisco Bay Area. Our homecoming was everything we hoped it would be: the soft chill of fog, delicious home cooked meals, warm blankets over huge (queen sized) beds, familiar faces, endless hugs and plans.

Since our return, we have been living with my mom and step-father in the beautiful coastal town of Pacifica. It is about 20 minutes south of San Francisco, but you would never be able to tell. The rolling hills, the ocean views and the endless trees are far more amazing then I remembered them. It really is true what you hear about seeing things differently after returning from long-term travel.

Our heads have also been spinning with plans. We sort of became big sissies when it comes to doing too much in one day. We pretty much can go to lunch or a dinner with friends or family and then we want to call it a night. Mostly because we tire really easily now. Coffee has helped a lot with that. This being tired often and having many plans and not much personal space has lead to us feeling something we haven't really felt in a long long time: stress.

We are stressed out trying to find work again. How were we supposed to know the economy was going to tank pretty much right after we quit our day jobs and moved to another country? Unlike most people that are job-hunting right now, we chose to leave our jobs and therefor neither of us can get unemployment. We still have a little bit of freelance graphic design work coming in, but not enough to make it in one of the most expensive parts of the country. We also needed to find a place to live that we could afford until we found jobs. Luckily we found a little one bedroom right on the sea in Pacifica that is super pet friendly. (Byron is very happy about that.) We don't know when we can move in yet as they are remodeling the apartment, but we are told it will be in the middle of October. We can not wait to have our own place again. We have been living in other people's homes for a long time now and we are ready to be with our things in our own space again.

Earlier today, I received and email from Eleanor, our first "landlord" in San Miguel de Allende. She sent us pictures from her birthday party and it instantly made us long to be back in the warmth and love central Mexico. I also chatted with a neighbor in Spanish the other night and hearing fluent native Spanish again was strangely comforting for both Ronnie and myself. Oh San Miguel. Your colors were always so bright and your pace always so slow. It is hard to keep our memory of a year abroad fresh and to not feel like it was a dream. We try our best to remember what our daily lives were like and what we enjoyed most about our time there.

If you have the opportunity...or even the dream of living abroad...do it. Yes it seems like a lot of work to get there, but it really isn't. Everything is a bit of work anyways, at least this way you would be working towards your goal instead of just going day by day.

I have enjoyed writing this blog so much. I have made friends and pen pals from all around the world. Thank you
Barbara's Fish TrapBarbara's Fish TrapBarbara's Fish Trap

One of our favorite Fish Fry places!
for following Ronnie, Byron and I's adventure. I may start another blog at some point about something else and if I do, I will post the link here. Until then, keep living life every single day....Viva la vida!!! Cada dia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Byron takes a hike Byron takes a hike
Byron takes a hike

in his new town
An evening at homeAn evening at home
An evening at home

with Mom and Mitch
Taking a hikeTaking a hike
Taking a hike

in San Pedro Park in Pacifica


6th April 2011
Barbara's Fish Trap

i cant wait to go balk their most of my family members work there they make the best food ever i go their every to years to visit cant wate to go balk my family restaurant love tem

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb