Let's get ready to.... walk


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today started out with a sleep in and a late breakfast at 10am. The plan for today was to check out some of the architecture in San Fran and walk around the Golden Gate Park. The first stop was a tram change at Castro, the homosexual capital of USA - note the rainbow flags! Our second stop was Alamo Square to check out the most photgraphed street in world... apparently. It's known as Postcard Row. The houses are pretty cool. There are dozens of these style houses around San Fran, which is quite amazing considering most of the city was burnt to the ground in the early 1900's, and suffered an earthquake in the mid 1900's.

We then spent the majority of the day walking around and around the Golden Gate Park. At first this sounds like, well, 'a walk in the park', until you realise that it's about 5km x 1km. We only walked about half way through the park but still managed to walk well over 5km due to the winding paths. We stopped at the Japanese garden, which, like all Japanese gardens ,was all bonsai'd up and kept in prime condition. Our walk in the parked turned into a bit of a hike as we realised we had to walk about another two km's to the bus stop. Chelle got a bit crabby, and wanted to rest, as she was wearing her thongs, and had had enough...so had I by that stage. We couldn't find a bus stop for ages, but then realised we were still in the bloody park, and needed to get back out to the road.

On our 'trip' home we stopped at Haight Street and checked out where all the 'trippin' started. This was Hippie Heaven in the 60's and all the action happened here. We must have stumbled into some stray smoke, cause we jumped on a tram heading in the wrong direction and didnt realise for about 15mins. The driver was worth the drama though - he was bloody funny. Kept saying things like, "Don't fall down - it's a 5 dollar charge if you fall down. Don't smack your face on the doors - I ain't got no bandaids."

After we ducked home for a quick rest and a water bottle refill we headed to the Grace Cathedral. The ambiance in the Cathedral was almost overpowering - there just so happened to be a reading followed by afternoon hymns sung by a small chior. The afternoon sun streamed through the stained glass and cast rainbows throughout the building, while the walls were filled with song. It's quite an impressive gothic building - something to compair to when we get to Italy!

The day ended like any other with a trip to the Shopping center next door, a browse through the multitude of eateries and a pick at each others dinners. If only every day was like this... at least the next two and a half months will be!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



14th July 2007

Not that there's anything wrong with it
Hi Guys As I read you blog about the rainbow flags could help but thing of that Seinfeld episode when a reporter thought that Jerry and George were gay ... and they kept saying "We are not gay ... not that there is anything wrong with it" . Anyhoo cracked me up .... and so did Izzy's comment about the stray smoke ... are you going to Amsterdam? Cause that's were the stray smoke will really get ya .... lol... Love Heidi

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb