San Diego and Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
December 11th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sooo after arriving at Phoenix airport, i said my goodbyes to the others who were going straight home. Then off to my internal flight which took a mere 1 hour 10 minutes. No problems getting my baggage or finding my shuttle so after a quick journey downtown, i was at the hostel. Checked in by a cool Californian dude who i ended up talking to lots over my 3 night stay. A bit of food before off to bed early.

Day one in San Diego and time fore the city tour. Lots to see including the Gaslamp quarter, old town, La Jolla, Coronado and Balboa Park. Really good 3 1/2 hour overview of the city and the guide certainly knew his stuff. After this it was down to the harbour for my cruises. One hour to the north bay and another hour to south bay. Great views of the skyline as well as all the US navy ships. Back to the hostel for a very late night talking to a bunch of wacky Aussies (bed at 4).

Day two in San Diego and it was raining! Time to goto the zoo and the weather had caused all but one other person to cancel, another Aussie who i spent the day with. The zoo was very good despite the downpour, with the polar bears and pandas being the highlights. Earlier night as i prepared to hit the road again the following morning, destination: Colorado.

Day one in Denver and from rain to snow. Not only was it snowing, it was also around -20 degrees with the windchill factor. This meant slight delays so i didn't arrive at the hotel until 4pm. After weeks of sharing a room with at least 3 people or camping, it was a welcome change to have a room to myself, even if it was only for 2 nights. Early night here to catch up on sleep after the late night antics in San Diego.

Day two in Denver and another tour. City sightseeing in the morning followed by a trip up into the mountains in the afternoon. The city tour took in the downtown skyscrapers, the capitol building, a catholic church, the Denver mint as well as some sporting venues. Lunch and window shopping at the Cherry Creek mall before going up to the mountains. All very impressive and some great views. All in all a much nicer city and area than i was expecting. Back to the hotel about 6 before another early night ready for more intercity travel the next day.

Transport to the airport all fine but when i got there i found out the snowstorms had caused an hour and a half delay on my flight out of Denver. (as a side-note, Flagstaff had just got 3 feet of snow over night!) Anyway, the plane eventually took off on what was my last of 3 internal flights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MapMap
Map

Flags for each country


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb