US of A


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
February 22nd 2006
Published: February 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

San Diego ZooSan Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo

A Polar Bear having a bit of a play in front of the cameras.
Firstly, I am extremely slack. Rob and I are already 4 weeks into our US road trip and I'm only just now updating the adventures of the first week in San Diego. Fear not, Rob is forever on my case so I have to keep up otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.

My excitement at my USA adventure was kicked into overdrive the moment my bus driver asked me, "ken I help'y'there lit'l lady?", and the excitement just kept on continuing as Rob and I were finally reunited at the Airport. It was everything we had hoped for and more. There was slow-motion running towards each other, there were tears in our eyes and there was a long embrace when we finally became one. Not really. Neither of us recognised each other until we'd walked passed each other a couple of times.

San Diego: home of sun, sand, surf and weird things on the sidewalk. We stayed in a hostel in Oceanbeach, a funny little place which had the oddest assortment of people from all over the place. There was a cyclist who was manically obsessed with hot springs, an old guy who got kicked out of
San Diego ZooSan Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo

Amanda Panda but no Jacaranda, Amanda.
the hostel because a "21 year-old crystal meth addict was shaking her booty in his face" (we thought the story questionable too) and two hitch-hikers that would swear on their mother's graves that they saw Bigfoot. Yeah... we met some interesting characters in San Diego.

About the only sight-seeing thing we did in San Diego was visit the zoo, because most of our time was spent organising a car for our road-trip. We looked at a couple of cars before we found our one. If only someone had a video camera on us when we were looking at cars. Picture us, standing around a car engine, hands in pockets and nodding like we really knew our stuff. Somehow things seemed to fall into place perfectly and we are now the proud owners of a 1992 Oldsmobile. It's systematic, hydromatic, has 6 cylinders, power everything, cruise control and is one 'sweet ride'. We have named our baby boy "The Hoff" after the legend of stage and screen, David Hasselhoff.

There have been many adventures in The Hoff since San Diego and I promise I will update sooooooon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

Rob on the 'Footsie Wootsie', a weird contraption that massages your feet. We're thinking of writing a letter to Arnie, to get him to have Footsie Wootsies installed everywhere in California.
Me and RobMe and Rob
Me and Rob

Reunited and it feels so good.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

You can imagine our excitement when we saw the Western Great Tit.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

A whole lotta hefalumps.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

Bec, the sign said Brazilian Tapirs but they weren't anywhere to be seen.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

Monkeying around.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

From the land that brought you law cases against hot coffee.
San Diego ZooSan Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo

Diane Fossey eat your heart out.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

Okay, but, I'm sure if I was an American I would be proud.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

For when you need to get a magazine about 'Classy Silky Girls' on the run.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

There's nothing I can say to explain this photo, other than to say it's someone's pony tail, sitting on the sidewalk, on a bandana.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

Me and Rob hangin' at the beach.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

Ocean Beach Pier.
San DiegoSan Diego
San Diego

When 'The Hoff' was officially ours.
The HoffThe Hoff
The Hoff

Kinda our inspiration for the name (if you squint and you're on acid it sorta looks like 'Hoff').
The HoffThe Hoff
The Hoff

All pimped out with peoples gifts and, of course, David Hasselhoff,


22nd February 2006

:)
When will you guys be home?!
23rd February 2006

Great Western Tit
You know, that looks suspiciously like a Great Southern Tit.
26th February 2006

I actually tried to squint to see if the numberplate would read "the hoff" - forgot to take the acid first...

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb