San Diego


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
February 1st 2005
Published: July 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mann's Chinese TheaterMann's Chinese TheaterMann's Chinese Theater

Rohan stands infront of the famous theater
Well on 28/01, we flew into Los Angeles from Vancouver and met up with Az as planned (except we were given separate rooms and we thought Az was missing in action) But he stumbled upon us on the street of downtown LA. That night we headed to Hollywood... What a fake and over-rated place that is. In fact the best part about it was Hooters.

The day after we headed to Long Beach and saw the Queen Mary But generally it's ordinary, then onto Santa Monica (after we worked out the stupid public transport system, In LA, stations are based on street names not places!!) and had dinner on the end of pier.

Santa Monica is a really nice place. The following day we "experienced" Universal Studios which is, about as fake as Hollywood. Funny that eh?. That night went to the famous Sunset Strip. We saw some places like Whiskey A Go Go, The Roxy, 77 Sunset Strip and of course, Hustler.

We ended up at a local bar called The Red Rock and got educated on the American "Tipping" system by the cool bar tender, Dave. Big Tipping + drinking spirits = BIG HANGOVER!!!
HOOOOOTERS!!!!!HOOOOOTERS!!!!!HOOOOOTERS!!!!!

Us enjoying the best part of Hollywood
(Enough said) But Sunset Strip wasn't too bad. After we finally dragged our groggy hides (claiming "Never Again") down to the lobby and missing our transfer to LAX, we eventually picked up our hire car (A very luxurious Buick)

We hit the road (and nearly a few cars getting used to driving on the other side of the road) South bound but not before going to Beverly Hills and to the famous Rodeo Drive. That is one of the most plush and up market streets we have ever walked. Rohan priced a pair of diamond studded sun glasses at US$ 1000. So we decided to not make as many purchases as planned (we had a coffee at Starbucks).

As we sped down the Freeway we looked back and bid good riddance to Los Angeles. It's a horrible town and we don't plan to go back if we can help it. We then arrived in San Diego on 31/01. Juxtaposed to Los Angeles, San Diego is a beautiful town. Laid back, clean, friendly and safe. We actually weren't scared to walk down the streets at night. The first night in San Diego, we hit a place called The
Universal StudiosUniversal StudiosUniversal Studios

Rohan and I sit on the Back To The Future car
Yardhouse which, on the out-side, boasted to have the the largest selection draught beer.

We accepted the challenge to discover that there are 112 different beers spread over 130 taps. Suffice to say, WOW!! The first day of February saw us wander the streets of this beautiful town and see that the U.S.S. Midway just happened to be docked in the Harbour. After parting with a well spent $13, we, for the next 3 or 4 hours, wandered this massive ship. It was a fabulous sight to see.

That night we stopped off in a local bar and tried an American beer called called Keystone Light. (Which was on sale for $1.50 I might add) All that needs to be said, you get what you pay for. DON'T EVER TRY THIS BEER. A bucket of grime would be more enticing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Santa MonicaSanta Monica
Santa Monica

Rohan stands at the end of Santa Monica Pier
The Regent Beverley WilshireThe Regent Beverley Wilshire
The Regent Beverley Wilshire

Az stands infront of one of the most plush hotels we have seen. Rodeo Drive
Our hire carOur hire car
Our hire car

BUICK Le SABRE
The YardhouseThe Yardhouse
The Yardhouse

Just one side of the Yardhouse bar
USS MidwayUSS Midway
USS Midway

Az and Rohan in front of the USS Midway
Keystone LightKeystone Light
Keystone Light

YUCK!!! $1.50 wasted


14th September 2006

native
San Diego may be an OK place to visit. It is a horrible place to live.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb