Marine Corp - Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » Coronado
August 13th 2009
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Magic BusThe Magic BusThe Magic Bus

This is a wonderful bus. We get on it and it takes us to wonderfully interesting places. THen it waits for us and after we reload it takes to another new experience.
Hi from Beautiful San Diego,
It's 9:00 pm and we need to be on the bus at 5:15 am so this is going to be a quick note. It was another great day with the Marines. We spent the morning at the Marine Corp Air Station at Mirarmar to see first hand Marines at work after basic training. Most amazing was the opportunity to visit the flight line and see the fighter jets and helicopters up close. The jets were taking off for exercises not far from where we were standing. Again it was amazing to hear about all of the educational opportunites afforded to these young people and their extended families. The Marine program pushes its members to get as much education as possible.
This afternoon we visited the Marine Corp museum at the training depot. The docents are all veteran Marines of different conflicts and they talk to the recruits about their experiences. I heard snippets from the Korean, Viet Nam and Desert Storm veterans. The recruits were all paying very close attention because each of them need to pass a history test as part of their training. What a great idea!!!
To see all of
AirfieldAirfieldAirfield

There was a fighter jet and helicopter that we could get up close and personal with. I even got to sit in the pilot seat of the helicopter which I have to tell you was not all that comfortable.
these sharp young men, hundreds of them, clean shaven, personable, articulate - it truly is amazing. We as Americans can all be proud of these young people and remember them in our thoughts and prayers as they prepare themselves to go and serve our country. This has been an amazing opportunity to see first hand what goes in to turning kids into men. Will post a few photos and hopefully post another note tomorrow. Enjoy your last couple of days of summer - I know I will be returning to school in less than a week. Lights Out! Ms. E. (Patty, Mom, Grandma)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Marine Corp BandMarine Corp Band
Marine Corp Band

We were treated to a lovely lunch at the Bay View Events center and as an added treat they had a jazz band that entertained us. The members of the band were all Marines. Their main job is to play music.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb