Redwoods and Gray Whales


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 8

Redwoods and Gray whales



Another day, another park – Today’s travels took us to Redwoods State and National Parks where we saw the forest and the trees. And today we learned that we are among Oregon’s list of criminals. After leaving the hotel, we stop to fill the car with gas before getting on the next scenic (sleepy, curvy, hilly) highway and are informed that it is illegal for customers to pump their own gas. Well the guy didn’t tell us that yesterday when we filled our own tanks – so we are now lawbreakers. After a pleasant conversation with gentleman pumping the gas for us, we offer him a tip for his services. It is apparently against the law to accept tips – so the guy who we tipped 2 days ago is also on Oregon’s most wanted list. We also learned that Oregon is a retirement state – not too bad when you think about – no sales tax, someone always pumps your gas for you and you never have to tip them. A good retirement state…..



After being made aware of our criminal acts, we move towards the Redwoods Highway. We cross the state line making our way into California where we are stopped for an agriculture inspection. Luckily we did not have any fruit or produce in our car. Whew – so many laws and procedures to follow in other states – shouldn’t there be a checklist so you know what to expect at the state lines? So no jail time or fines for us today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.



Before long we are entering the Redwoods – it is a different kind of place. It is a bit serene and beautiful at the same time. It is hard to take a photo of the area, for it does not really capture what you see. The trees are so tall that you cannot see the tops and the forest is so green – a green mystical place. We stop by the visitor center for some quick information and are given a map and a few suggestions of places to visit. Redwoods highway and parks are comprised of the trees and coastal areas. We drive in and out of each, giving us a variety of things to look at – a little something for everyone.



The massive trees intrigued Donald, stopping at several pullouts to take in the sight of the massive beasts. The kids didn’t understand why he was taking photos of trees. But after they got out of the car and into the forest, they too started to see the uniqueness of the place. They climbed inside trees and stood next to them giving great perspective to the actual size. We hiked through a grove looking at the huge trees, ferns, centipedes and other wet forest life. We did not see any Ewoks hiding in the forest but could almost see Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker riding the speeders through the forest. Star Wars was filmed in that forest – looked just like the film.



Afterwards, our scenic highway took us back to the coast where we stopped at a few areas for pictures but quickly moved on for everyone was hungry. We ate lunch in a diner in McKinleyville and checked into our hotel for the evening. After a quick break and seeing a picture in the lobby of “Wedding Rock” about 15 minutes away, we head out for that sight. We had actually passed it on the way, but did not realize where it was. It was located in a state park right outside the Redwoods. It is a huge rock on the coast nestled among other rocks in which people climb to get married. It is a beautiful sight. We climb down some trails to the rock area so Stephen can look for sea anemones and other creatures. Do not believe Stephen when he says he does not like the beach – he has thoroughly enjoyed the beach – as long as it has cliffs, rocks to climb and tide pools. That is hard to find on the east coast where we live.



After searching near the coast, we climb the rock to the viewing area at the top – can’t imagine climbing that in a wedding dress (for those wishing to get married there) – it was a hard climb. As soon as we reach the top someone tells us that a baby whale is playing around in the area. Just what we have been waiting for – whales! We stay there a while looking and watching. Taking several pictures not knowing if we actually captured the whale or not with our camera – for it would not stay up for long. After downloading all the pictures, we realize that it was 2 different whales we saw. We also saw a sea lion swimming around, but unable to get a photo of him.



We then drove down to the next state park in which Stephen and I hiked down to the beach to explore. It had started to rain again, so Donald and Shelby stayed in the car. As we reach the beach, we see a big group of starfish lying on the beach. We look around the rocks and cliffs for other animals and find a few more starfish and sea anemones. Stephen loves to explore those areas, but can make me really nervous as he goes up and down the cliffs. We hope to find a few more of those areas tomorrow as we drive further down the California coast (if the weather will cooperate), making it a little closer to San Francisco, our hub for the flight home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



4th June 2012

I would be like Stephen and like the star fish and see creatures, but would break my neck having to climb to see them. Sounds like a better day since it wasn't raining all day. Be safe and have fun and I love you all!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb