Hike to Mt San Jacinto on 4th of July


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was an unusual aproach to our national holiday but we had a lot of fun and definitely we beat the heat. With few polish friends, with whom we are starting Polish Club in our valley, we decided to do "the bonding" by walking 11 miles and gain and lose 2600' (about 870 m) by climbing San Jacinto Peak (second tallest in So. California 10804 ').
It was still the easiest way to get there, because we took a tram, which starts from Palm Springs. It took us up from 2643 feet elevation to 8516 feet in a ride which by itself is spectacular. It is also a fast change from palms and cactuses desert to pines and meadows with a big difference of 20-30 F. The tram spikes up very sharply giving an illusion of rollercoaster but without the physical feeling of falling down and while drives it also rotates so everybody has a chance to see a full view.
I have to admit that for all of us it was a difficult hike. Even with many stops, on upper elevations we felt high altitute and those 11 miles up and down were not easy, but we survived. And for some fit members of our team it was not that hard. Most of the trail goes through shady forest and it is very gradual except for a last short hike to the top. Just below the top there is an old stone build hut, with bunk beds, very interesting. Ania and Kuba were the only children and did very good and of course everybody were "very proud of them". The next day we felt mostly our "brake" muscles from going down. It was a good trip we had a perfect weather and a very good visibility.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb