The Monterey Bay Aquarium


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Nettle JelliesNettle JelliesNettle Jellies

at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
This morning Gena cooked bacon and I cooked pancakes and we breakfasted together. The Monterey Bay Aquarium didn’t open until 10, so we had time for a leisurely meal.

Gena stayed behind this morning to do laundry (and watch Milo) while Kerry, Bob and I went to the aquarium. We parked at the garage that was labeled Aquarium and Cannery Row parking. It turns out it was five blocks from the aquarium, but we made the best of it by checking the stores along the way for patches and cheap postcards.

Once in the aquarium, we went first to see the feeding at the Open Sea tank. This tank had tuna, dolphin fish, sardines, sharks, hammerheads, sea turtles and a big sun fish, among others. These were the fish you’d see if you were dumped out in the ocean in deep water far from land. They fed the big fish first then the sardines, who swam up in fast synchronization in a huge swirling clump.

We then enjoyed the jellies, the jelly fish being their new special exhibit. We saw a giant octopus that looked like it was inside out (it was kind of dark and you couldn’t use a flash.) We saw the sea otters, two of which were grooming each other, while a third seemed to be entertaining himself by spinning in the water. The Kelp Forest exhibit was fascinating with the water moving up and down just like it would in the ocean from wave action. There were penguins and puffins, sea horses and leafy sea dragons. We laughed at the hammerhead sharks chasing the sardines. We saw beautiful starfish and unusual anemones, and ourside, we saw sea lions basking on the rocks. I can’t even begin to tell you all we saw.

We had a wonderful time, and we are so glad we finally got to visit this fantastic aquarium. This is a must-see for everyone.

Tonight we have live music from the Rascals and the Hollies. At the fairgrounds this weekend is the Rock and Rods show, hot rods from before 1973 and the bands I mentioned. We've seen some really great cars and trucks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Swarms of sardinesSwarms of sardines
Swarms of sardines

and a dolphin
Leopard SharkLeopard Shark
Leopard Shark

Kelp Forest tank
PenguinsPenguins
Penguins

grooming
Zebra EelZebra Eel
Zebra Eel

and cleaner shrimp
AnemonesAnemones
Anemones

these are so unusual
Sting RaySting Ray
Sting Ray

it moved so fast, I had a hard time getting a picture
Sea HorsesSea Horses
Sea Horses

a herd?
Hammerhead SharkHammerhead Shark
Hammerhead Shark

zooming past
Upside-Down JelliesUpside-Down Jellies
Upside-Down Jellies

I love these guys
Spotted JelliesSpotted Jellies
Spotted Jellies

Pretty, too
Flowered Hat JelliesFlowered Hat Jellies
Flowered Hat Jellies

I'd never seen these before
Blubber JelliesBlubber Jellies
Blubber Jellies

they swim really fast
Sea LionsSea Lions
Sea Lions

on rocks outside the aquarium
Coast GuardCoast Guard
Coast Guard

I think they were running drills. Bob got a picture of the boat shooting its water cannon.


20th May 2012

Monterey Bay Area
Thanks for the beautiful pictures, those of us living/traveling on boats never get enough of it, do we? :)
20th May 2012

Pics
Great photos Charlie - its like seeing it with you!
23rd May 2012

super pictures! almost like being there, thanks, love you both

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb