Chasing the tornado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
April 11th 2012
Published: April 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

family in Santa Barbarafamily in Santa Barbarafamily in Santa Barbara

could just as well be roath park
Woke up to rain this morning but that soon cleared to leave another beautiful sunny day, although a few degrees cooler than we have been used to, so long trousers were on the cards today! (Dawn wrote this).

We headed down to Santa Barbara pier looking at the pelicans diving for fish in the sunshine before heading up the Freeway 101, a mere 249 miles to Monterey. On the way Dawn saw clouds in the form of a funnel and a wee while later the government warning cut in to the radio broadcast warning of a possible tornado 100 miles away. The warning said if you were in your car find the nearest ditch and lie down, only problem was we were in the middle of nothing but flat, flat, flat land with not a ditch in sight. At this point Dawn was rather anxious and although doesn't condone speeding insisted I should really put my foot down harder on the excelerator to get us out of the area!!

I tried to tell her it was only a possible situation and we were heading in the opposite direction at 70mph but she insisted on squeezing under the front seat until the all clear was sounded!

We got to Monterey about 4pm and hunted out Dennis the Menace park, a different Dennis from the Scottish one and saw some organised baseball in the park. After eating at Denny's Ellie braved the heated outdoor pool ..... mad!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Denis the Menace ParkDenis the Menace Park
Denis the Menace Park

Lovely Monterey
Denis the Menace ParkDenis the Menace Park
Denis the Menace Park

Mia was now too old for the park she loved 4 years ago!!!


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb