A Gorgeous Day of Golf at Pebble Beach


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
January 19th 2009
Saved: December 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Heaven on Earth: Pebble BeachHeaven on Earth: Pebble BeachHeaven on Earth: Pebble Beach

Standing on 18 after a wonderful round of golf, gorgeous weather, a friendly foursome. I finished with a tap in par. From left, me, my son Matt, Joe, and Scott.
It was Jack Nicklaus who answered the question, "If you could only play one golf course, which one would it be?" Of course, he answered, Pebble Beach. And I humbly and whole heartedly agree. It is the most magical place on earth, with apologies to Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. I first got to play Pebble Beach when I turned 50. My friend Mike and I played the most magical round of golf EVER.

But it has been about ten years since I have played there. Last year, my son and I played Spyglass Hill, just down the road. It is rated a much harder course than Pebble, but not nearly as beautiful. This year, today, my son and I are playing Pebble the day after his 28th birthday. Hopefully, he will feel the same magic that Mike and I did that sunny, glorious October 3 day.

Since 1919, the exquisite beauty and unique challenge of Pebble Beach Golf Links has thrilled golfers and spectators alike. Pebble Beach has been the site of golf's most prestigious tournaments, including the annual AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the 1972, '82, '92 and 2000 U.S. Open Championships. We have attended many of
Par 4 8th HolePar 4 8th HolePar 4 8th Hole

The most beautiful, and most treacherous second shot in championship golf.
those, and been able to meet many famous people, like Karsten Solheim (Ping), Jack Lemmon, Alan Shepherd, Huey Lewis, Glen Frey, Bill Murray, and GHW Bush (#41).

Pebble Beach Golf Links is ranked the No. 1 Public Course in America by Golf Digest in 2007. Designed by Jack Neville and Douglas Grant, the course hugs the rugged coastline, providing wide-open vistas, cliffside fairways and sloping greens. It is a delightful challenge for all players. We always walk the course, and enjoy every step. It is now owned by a group of distinguished investors, including Peter Uebberoth, Arnold Palmer, and Clint Eastwood.

In 1880, the Pacific Improvement Company, headed by the "Big Four" of railroad fame: Charles Crocker, Leland Stanford, Collis Huntington, and Mark Hopkins opened Hotel Del Monte near Monterey. Eleven years earlier, these ambitious gentlemen led the completion of the Trans-Continental Railway with the driving of the "Golden Spike". Tourists arrived on the Monterey Peninsula via Southern Pacific's "Del Monte Express".

In 1914, the Pacific Improvement Company hired the entrepreneurial 30-year-old Samuel F.B. Morse, a distant cousin of the inventor of the Morse Code, to liquidate all of the company's land holdings. Morse formed Del Monte
Another Great Day in HeavenAnother Great Day in HeavenAnother Great Day in Heaven

Days like this make me glad we live in California. The golf, weather, and beauty, all here at Pebble Beach.
Properties Company and purchased the 18,000-acre Del Monte unit including Hotel Del Monte, The Lodge at Pebble Beach, and two golf courses. Both the new Lodge and Pebble Beach Golf Links open. The main part of The Lodge is still here after 85 years.

The sternest test of golf, the U.S. Open has been held here four times, in 1972, 1982, 1992, and 2000. The list of winners is equally impressive: Jack, Tom Watson, Tom Kite, and Tiger. It is scheduled here again in 2010 if I am not mistaken. The only problem is parking, since we have to park over at Fort Ord and get bused in.

I also love the facilities here. There are two pro shops just full of great PB merchandise. Shops line the practice putting green, and include a jewelry store, and the famous Robert Talbot shop. The Lodge at Pebble Beach has not only the hotel, but the famous Tap Room, and the Club XIX restaurant. The hotel also has a spa, tennis club, equestrian center, grocery store, bank, and a Beach Club. The upscale Casa Palmero villas are also located adjacent to the hotel grounds.

But golf is the main
Easy Birdie on the Par 4 FourthEasy Birdie on the Par 4 FourthEasy Birdie on the Par 4 Fourth

The par 4 4th hole is the first hole along the ocean. If you can concentrate long enough to hit a good short iron, a birdie is possible. Matt almost drove the green here.
draw for us, even though we have stayed at the Lodge numerous times. We even got to stay in Bill Murray's spa suite on one occasion. But the regular rooms are fantastic, and worthy of a visit, even at ridiculous rates. We have brought our own friends and family here for special occasions. I love this place, and maybe in my next life, I will be a homeowner on 17 Mile Drive, or a golf pro who gets to play here several times a year.

I am so glad that my son, Matt, did not have to wait until he was 50 to play here. My Dad did not play golf, and was too busy working. Matt and I have played some of the best courses in Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii. We have a bond that extends beyond the golf course. But when we get to the links, we battle fiercely to win a soda from the other. Where else but on a golf course can a 62 year old like me battle a young, strong, fearless 28 year old who hits the ball over 300 yards? By the way, he shot 2 over par, and eagled the par 5 6th hole. And I had a pretty good 90 with a birdie on 16. It was a great day of golf, great weather, and as close to heaven as I will probably get.

We were just commenting today about the fantastic winter weather here in California. We know that people in the midwest and east coast watch the Pebble Beach Pro Am or the Buick Open at Torrey Pines in La Jolla. They must think that EVERY day is like that here in paradise. It is close, especially when you get to rub elbows with the spirit and legends of the past. I guess if it were my last round of golf, I would be here right behind Jack.


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 1.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 37; qc: 154; dbt: 0.9179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb