Monterey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
August 29th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello folks, Rich here. After the amazing drive up Pacific Coast Highway 1, our next stop was Monterey. The city is located at the top of a peninsula that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean. It is famous for its fishing history and by being immortalized by John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. We were staying four blocks from Fisherman's Wharf at the Sand Dollar Inn. This was the place that we had decided to save a few bucks on the rate during our planning. We were not disappointed as we were checked into a room that was already occupied. Also, the hotel had no A/C. The clerk said that 90% of Monterey is unaircondtioned because of its year round temperant climate. Whatever. We just opened all the windows and listened to the sea lions bark out territorial warnings all night.

The next morning we hit The Monterey Aquarium. This aquarium was top notch and put shame to the others we had been to. Even the bloated Georgia Aquarium came across like a shopping mall compared to this one. The aquarium had an amazing collection of jellyfish, along with some of the largest tuna we had ever seen.

After some fish tacos at the Wharf, we boarded the Sea Wolf II for some whale watching. We got a little more than we bargained on this venture. After going through the blue tranqulity of the Monterey Bay we came into the Pacific. The Pacific was cold, grey and rough. It actually was more like an episode of Deadliest Catch than the brochure had lead on. We did catch some fleeting glimpses of a humpback whale, risso's dolphins, and orcas. The orcas did come closer to the boat near the end of the trip, but my hands were too cold to pull out the camera. The trip back sucked...plain and simple. Seriously, we were hit by a rouge wave at one point. You will only see pictures from the happier first part of the trip, not the freezing less fun return trip.

We made it back in time for dinner on Cannery Row at Sly McFlys, a jazz club/family restaurant. The band playing was a group of septagenarians who still could rock some covers of everything from Lionel Richie and the Pointer Sisters to Norah Jones.

Next stop, San Fran. Stay tuned...




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



29th August 2008

Funny
Your humorous comments were great! That was hilarious not having air conditioning. I wish that I could see the aquarium. I love jelly fish!Pete says "hello" with a wet kiss. He now greets me at the door with the toy that we play with.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb