Just a Box of Rain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mojave
January 20th 2010
Published: January 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

By Melisse.
Rain in the desert is a blessed event. It releases huge powers in the plants and soil. Ocotillos instantly transform from their brown spindly shape to a green and “fluffy” one with vermillion plumes at their ends. The animals rejoice. Last night it rained here in Anza Borrego Desert State Park in southern California. Several times through the night a few sprinkles danced upon our taught tent fly. I awoke well before dawn, recorded my dreams (as is my daily custom now), got dressed and went for a long walk with Quito along a sandy road through the large valley where we are camped. The light gradually grew as we trodded along. Suddenly the aromas of the freshly moistened soil and vegetation enveloped me, and like a time machine, sucked me back to Water Canyon New Mexico where I spent three summers in the mid 70’s and early 80’s studying Acorn Woodpeckers. These were some of the happiest months of my life so I welcomed the visit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th January 2010

Beautiful!
That looks so nice. It's soggy and cold here in Missouri. You desert rats better get rolling pretty soon if we're going to see you in Maplewood in less than a week!
21st January 2010

ok
so you got a "box" of rain? everything looks so good!
21st January 2010

OK
The little bitty "box" of rain turned into major "dump trucks full"...So much that we headed for Charlie and Briana's in LA before floods and perhaps landslides closed roads. We're safe dry and warm here. What a sweet thing to be taken in here.
27th January 2010

desert envy
wow what an amazing place ----i look forward to going through all your wonderful travel adventure photos and text----great to see you both----you look marvelous!! peace---julie

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb