Day 6: It's a Very Grand Canyon, Indeed.


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thrifty Travel Tip #8: The KOA campgrounds will never know you were there if you're in at 8 and out by 6; if you don't use the water, you won't hurt them economically either. Don't pay for what you don't use.

Hi, Hello, and Good day Family and Friends <3

We woke up well rested and happy after our adventures the night before at NAU. I found our sweet, generous host lying on the floor of his room with a pillow and a towel as a blanket. Talk about a bleeding heart! I gently woke him at 6:30 - we were asked if we could leave before 8 as though not to surprise his roommate, which isn't a problem when you gain 3 hours - thanked him, and suggested he moved to his bed. By 7, we were entering the doors of the Embassy Suites, our most lavish continental thus far, with an omelet station, and a beautiful breakfast. We got all fueled up for our big day of hiking in the Grand Canyon and hit the road.

We stopped at a gas station to fill up, which was essential since once you're out of town gas mysteriously shoots up about 50 cents. As a side note, did anyone in the east know that they have T.V.s at the pumps in the West? We wove through the Rockies along a twisting road, excited for our BIG hike to the great landmark. Dustin had been once before but it was when he was little; I, despite being an avid hiker and nature enthusiast, had never been to the canyon and was hoping for great things. We knew it would cost money and expected a $20 fee but decided on the trip of a lifetime, it would be worth it.

After about an hour of driving we pulled up to the gates. It was a bummer to see that the park actually charged $25 but we knew it would be worth it. Out of curiosity, I asked if would be a better idea to take the shuttle into the park. The ranger informed me it wasn't worth it since we would have to pay for the shuttle. He then asked me where I was from and told me that it was national state park day or something and that today, all the parks were FREE. I couldn't believe how lucky we were. On the two days that the park was free during the whole year, we just happened to be driving cross country and hit it on the right one!

We planned our route along the rim of the canyon and started out from a heavily trafficked post. As my feet pounded the path, my heart's beat matched the rhythm in anticipation. As we walked towards the rim, I couldn't believe the sight of it: the vastness, the altitude, the infinite sea of descending cliffs. We took a two hour long trek that was at least 5 miles (if not more) and gave us spectacular views. About 3/4 of the hike was along the rim and our last 1/4 was a less frequented decent into the canyon. Along the trail we saw many backpackers on their way up from the river which planted the seeds of a growing future trip in my head.

When we finally returned to the car, happy that the impending rain held off, we were hungry, thirsty, and tired. We ate a quick car lunch and I hopped behind the wheel, energy still coursing through me from the adrenaline rush of the great hike; Dustin, being my polar opposite, feel fast asleep in the passenger sleep as I drove to our next major stop in Kingman.

Kingman was our last stop before crossing the Mojave desert so we stocked up on water and a few snacks for the road. We also found my dream restaurant. The place was called Salad Creations and the concept was amazing. You paid 7 bucks and could add any of the resteraunts 40 add ins including artichoke hearts, chickpeas, raisins, almonds, 4 kinds of cheese and many other veggies and carbs. I was in heaven. They also make their own raspberry vinaigrette and have a plethora of other low cal, healthy dressings. The serving size is huge, but healthy if you make it right - like I said, Laura Heaven. There is one that just opened in Cleveland; I suggest you all go out and try it immediately!

We drove across the desert, listening to (appropriately enough,) the desert session by Josh Holme and various other artists. Another beautiful sunset later, we were pulling off the freeway to look for camping. We got off a few exits early and were afraid we made a wrong choice. Luckily, we took a few right turns and crossed the border of California. I spent about 10 minutes yelling at Dustin after he sped past the "Welcome to California" sign. We headed into the town of needles and drove around. We had found a parking lot of a Best Western but didn't really want to sleep there as we couldn't take another night in the car after being spoiled by our NAU host, David. We noticed a sign for the KOA.

We drove over to the KOA campgrounds, which appear across the United States. We had checked one out in NM, so we knew that the hosts were out by 8 pm. After 8, you are supposed to put 21 dollars in an envelope and register but they don't come back till 7am, so we decided to camp and be out before 7. I struggled a bit trying to put up the tent as tired as I was, but it's only two poles, and after muck yelling at Dustin about not moving the light and crabbily maneuvering the damn thing, we were ready to sleep for the night. Minus a few noises from other campers the desert was pretty peaceful, and before we knew it we were fast asleep.

Hope you all are enjoying this as much as I love writing it!

All our love,
Laura and Dustin

Next up: "Day 7: LA at last!"



Advertisement



5th October 2008

miss you
Hi guys, I love reading your stories about all your adventures! Sounds like you are having an amazing experience. It makes me jealous and sad that I am not with you guys. Miss you a lot and have fun! love,steph

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb