Winter 09/10


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another great season in Mammoth.

It turned out to be the third snowiest winter on record! Over 500 inches and it's still coming. We received eight inches last Tuesday, making the spring skiing very soft!

Hope everyone had a great winter. It's that time of the year again, time to pull the sandals out and put on some shorts.

Phil


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

PatrolPatrol
Patrol

Early morning ski-cut on top of the Around-the-Corner Chutes.
Jump RockJump Rock
Jump Rock

Compression ski-cut on Jump Rock. That's my track on looker's-right.
Getting CreativeGetting Creative
Getting Creative

Storms with high winds will leave large cornices on the ridges. We have to hang sticks of dynamite tied to flagging attached to a ski pole to place them in just the right spot.
Scott QuirsfeldScott Quirsfeld
Scott Quirsfeld

Mid-throw on top of the Drop-out Chutes
Cornice BowlCornice Bowl
Cornice Bowl

Here's a group of patrollers hanging dynamite over the cornice on Cornice Bowl.
ExplosionExplosion
Explosion

You can see how the explosion was in just the right spot to blast the cornice.
Top of the WorldTop of the World
Top of the World

This sign is usually 30 feet tall, now it's only three feet tall.
Silverton MountainSilverton Mountain
Silverton Mountain

On March 6th, I drove out to Silverton with my patroller friend Ryan Copenhagen to meet my brother Matt. We skied one day at the backcountry ski resort and one day at Telluride. This is Matt and our guide Chris Engelhart, who is a former Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrolman.
Matt on Rope Dee DopeMatt on Rope Dee Dope
Matt on Rope Dee Dope

We skied this chute and traversed to the right to begin our boot-pack up the Big Couloir to Little Pequena.
Little PequenaLittle Pequena
Little Pequena

We had a really fast group in Silverton so Chris took us up the Little Pequena couloir which hadn't been skied yet. We boot-packed up the Big Couloir and just as we were getting to the top the owner of the mountain got dropped off by the Helicopter and skied it right before us.
ChristmasChristmas
Christmas

Evan is definetley a Schaefer baby.
Sarah and EvanSarah and Evan
Sarah and Evan

Evan gets bigger and more mobile every time I see him.
GrizzlyGrizzly
Grizzly

Joe Lesh with the stick.
CopenhagenCopenhagen
Copenhagen

"It's a Quesadilla"
Daves Ski-cutDaves Ski-cut
Daves Ski-cut

The turns are the perks of the job. When it's not very dangerous we cut until we feel safe and then turn 'em.


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb