Motel California catch up stop


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Banos
June 18th 2013
Published: June 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday 14th

Decided to make Mono lake our destination for today, and set off down the 395, a lovely road. Feeling better after yesterday's rather lost feeling from saying goodbye to the guys of Quincy. Its difficult not to bounce back driving down these roads, the scenery is beautiful and the weather perfect. Couldn't find any campsites around Mono lake, so carried on to the June lake loop road, which was recommended to us by a guy we shared the taxi with from LA airport to the Tucker's house all those weeks ago. Seems forever ago now!

Found an OK site, pitched up and headed out to an old mining ghost town we had been recommended - fascinating. If anyone is interested, try googling it - its called Bodie. The only down side, it involves a 3 mile unmade up road of dirt, rock and rubble. We're still not used to the distances here. The turn off the main road to Bodie indicates to us the town is more or less right there, but its another 15 odd miles, but worth it, really interesting. The chances of downloading photos is not looking very likely for a good while, it takes too long, and our recent motel choices just don't have the facilities.

Had a disturbed night with goings on in a neighbouring tent at 3 in the morning, don't know what, but it involved whisking some chap off because they didn't have signal to dial 911 - just eavesdropping, actually you can't help it in a tent!

Sat 15th

Off to Yosemite with a campsite booked for tonight. Lovely ride over the Tioga pass, around 10,000 foot. I had never anticipated seeing so much snow on this trip, actually thinking about it, I had never anticipated seeing ANY snow on this trip! But Yosemite is lovely, and combines all the ingredients of the other parks, but seen in perfect weather. Checked out Nevada falls involving around a 6 mile hike, but stunning. Finished up the day with a pot noodle type supper eaten by the campfire.

Sunday 16th

Moved pitch. We had only booked 1 night, and this site was booked up, so had to pack everything up and move a few hundred feet, but too much to see in just the one day. Took the bikes to Glacier Point to see the most terrific view, saw a wolf by the roadside, a moth eaten specimen, but good to see. Stopped on the way back for a hike to a lake, but after being attacked by mosquitoes, we gave up and headed back to camp. Spotted large plumes of smoke to the south/west of the park, reminded us of our French holiday! Fingers crossed!

Monday 17th

Packed up and left the campsite. Visited the giant Sequoia trees before leaving the park, but spoilt after seeing the giant Redwoods in such peace and solitude. Headed off to the dreaded valley. Temperature soared as we came down from the park and started crossing the valley floor, suddenly everything is brown and dry, and the road surface appalling. Its impossible to map read with very few road signs, and the roads that do have signs, have numbers like 'Road 13 3/4'. Stopped at Raymond for a drink and chatted on to the bar man, Bill. Of coarse everyone has British ancestors, but Bill was a mine of information, especially about the town, it has quite a history. He ended up buying us the drinks, and we were on our way again! Finally made it to some sort of highway, and have now stopped in Los Banos for the night. My face is feeling somewhat burnt after the ride, quite a difficult riding day with bad roads, wind and high temperatures - still loving it!!

Advertisement



18th June 2013

'Two More Weeks!'
Still two whole weeks...you lucky blighters. When you do head back to this side of the pond the adventure continues. Grandrupt beckons and when you have had enough of France it will be time to head back to the UK. Damn fine way to spend a year I reckon. Have started looking at VW camper vans. Might not be quite as far flung as your trip but Europe is big enough for me. Plenty of history to gork at and lots...of lovely vino to drink! Have fun. Love Mags and Jim. x
21st June 2013

Fun times
You're right of coarse, life is certainly very good at the most, no complaints,just sorry this part of it is coming to an end-it really has been the dream. Hope all good with you guys, vw sounds like a cool idea. So much to see, everywhere.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb