Go Getty


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Bel Air
March 27th 2005
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gerry and Denise's Journey so far


Bird of Paradise plantBird of Paradise plantBird of Paradise plant

In the grounds of the Getty Center. This is the official flower of Los Angeles.
One fine day in L.A. I (Gerry) decided to visit the Getty Center in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains. I reckoned it was only 4 or 5 miles away so I set off walking, not always an easy thing to do as most US routes are set up for cars not pedestrians. I didn't pass a single person and on long stretches there wasn't even a pavement, but I had the company of thousands of cars driving along the world's busiest road, the 405 Santa Monica Highway!

The Getty Center is a museum and art gallery built over 750 acres by the J.Paul Getty Trust. The building itself is an architectural wonder (although I wasn't overly impressed with it). Most of it is made from a light-coloured stone called travertine, 16,000 tons of it! The stones were shipped from Italy from the same quarry that was used to supply travertine to build the Coliseum in Rome. Seems to me more like a Greek tragedy that so much money be spent on a colossal monstrosity when half the world hasn't got access to clean drinking water. Still, I got some nice photos there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 37; qc: 153; dbt: 0.1244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb