A Quiet 4th of July at Grover Hot Springs


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Enjoying the CampsiteEnjoying the CampsiteEnjoying the Campsite

Our granddaughters relaxing at the campsite
Wednesday morning, July 4th, Grover Hot Springs, CA and the adventure just keeps going!

We arrived at the nice early hour of 3a.m. having driven over a great cut off, Highway 89 from the 395. We drove over an hour at 20 mph for the last stretch. We had a full moon so we could see some of the landscape and it looked like we would like it in the day light, but who knows.

So yes, we arrived at the campground at 3a.m. but we couldn’t ever get this RV into our site, I mean never! We drove around the campground and found empty sites but nothing we could get into so finally by 3:30a.m decided to just park by the visitor’s center and go to sleep.

We got up at 7:30a.m when we heard voices outside the RV. I went out and found the ranger told him our story and he was sympatric. He gave me the 2nd site number of mine and said to just park in either one we could get into. The 2nd site was narrow with rocks on each side and a tree on each side at the end of the drive.
Two Little Best FriendsTwo Little Best FriendsTwo Little Best Friends

The two little cousins, watching grandpa set up for the campfire.
Dale worked for quite some time maneuvering the RV into the site so that we could use the slide out and not hit anything.

The biggest problem has been the RV batteries which seem to have a major issue. We have no hookups and so are dependent on batteries to keep the fridge going, our main concern. We also would like to use the water pump and lights but those are not so critical. Our neighbor has been very generous in letting us use his generator to charge the batteries and Dale cleaned the connections so we will see if this helps.

Clayton and Jen arrived by 2p.m. and were directed to the spot next to us, not really their spot but easy enough for all of us. Zaya ran over with all of the doll stuff in hand ready to play with Zoey and they didn’t stop until dinner. Older girls were climbing rocks and exploring the campground. At one point we found Sunny, the 16 year old, sitting on a bench at the edge of a meadow just taking it all in.

The campground has lots of trees, over 100 years old as per the ranger. Apparently this area was clear cut to power the saw mills and was replanted. Trees are big but not huge. The campground is in a hilly and rocky area so that some sites are in valleys and some on the hills. There are at least 2 meadows that we’ve seen so far and saw a deer run across the one across the road from our site.

There is no cell service at all and no internet so we have a very quiet life this week! And this is the reason this blog post will not be posted until we leave the area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb