Up in the woods...literally!


Advertisement
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a really tiring Feb 18th. After that, the need to unwind rushed into the blood & with 3 days off from routine, we dashed to a place which we might not have thought of otherwise!
3 days in a resort among the Redwoods!

Where: Avenue of the Giants, NorCal.
When: 20th Feb - 23rd Feb 2008

Redcrest Resort is not the usual uptight "resort" community we'd expected. It is more like a rustic cabin without the Summer crowd. Guess, that made it worth it. Plus a functional kitchen.
I got to learn ping pong from Ganesh. It is a fun place to go with kids/family! There is enough to keep you busy.

Humbolt county receives around 80 inches rainfall annually. This year, so far only 40 inches. Trust me, the people are happy about it. The Eel river is just a mile from the resort & Ganesh managed a jog one of those evenings. An interesting fact I noted about the Eel river was that, it was flowing against gravity from South to North before it joins the Pacific at Humbolt Bay State Park, some 10 miles S of Eureka.

The Avenue of the Giants extend for a good 25 miles & Redcrest is at the North end.

We managed to do a couple of hikes, inspite of the rain. A 2 mile hike to Humbolt Bay(wildlife paradise! the book said so!)
And another two-miler in the Avenue of the giants.

The usually crowded area was dying for attention now! What a surprise! I tried to get over my bear fears & enjoyed the lone hike. The rain, the river & of course the Redwoods for company. What a dream come true!

At the knowledge of a crazy storm hitting the CA coast, we packed our bags early Saturday morning & tried to rush home. Well! the rain was already hitting us hard. We had to slow down & reached home safe & sound after a good 5-6 hrs.

Next vacation? Not sure when 😞
This one will sure be treasured!!!

-travelbuffs

What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet,
Long live the weeds and the wildness yet.
~Gerard Manley Hopki





Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Tall Tree trailTall Tree trail
Tall Tree trail

to Albee Campground
Sandpiper???Sandpiper???
Sandpiper???

Humbolt Bay State Park


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb