Day 61 Friday June 28/13 Gualala, California 19060 kms


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Gualala
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We knew there was a heatwave coming from yesterday and by 11 am when we left Jen and Wayde's, it was already in the 90's and brutally humid. Our plan was to get to the coast and find some cooler weather. We left it too late! We had to travel by interstate for the first 40 minutes and it was 40 minutes too long. The traffic on both I-80 and I-5 was crazy and congested and we had to ride like bats out of hell just to keep up while negotiating lane changes to accommodate impatient merging traffic travelling at the speed of lightning. We immediately started our technique of ice in the shirts and jackets in an attempt to stay cool as the temperature soared up to 106 again. Our plan was to travel through the Napa and Sonoma Valleys which showcase many of California's wine regions with a stop for lunch in downtown Sonoma. The scenery was as the pictures depict. Although it was beautiful the heat made it unbearable and we couldn't stop to appreciate it. We literally had to push ourselves to the coast through more farmland and vineyards before reaching the town of Jensen on Highway 1 where the temperature immediately dropped to a refreshing 85 degrees. Highway 1 follows the shoreline all the way up the coast of California and for motorcycles it doesn't get much better than this, with winding twisting switchbacks on steep grades through canyons and beachfronts. We are spending the night in Gualala, a small coastal town, at Breakers Inn right on the beach in the Ireland Room (Scotland was already assigned!). Wine on the deck watching the sunset, pizza from across the street, log fire after dark in the room, perfection. We are not coming home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



1st July 2013

I wrote you a comment, but it has disappeared! Keep heading north - Canada is up here and the weather is lovely! I love you and miss you. Hugs, Mum

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb