Christmas in Coastal California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Fort Bragg
December 25th 2005
Published: December 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Foggy CoastlineFoggy CoastlineFoggy Coastline

The fog recedes enough to catch a glimpse of the beach.
Please Note: The following post was meant to be uploaded on Christmas night, but we were unable to find a signal between the ocean and the mountains.

Our second morning at Hotel La Rose was as picturesque as the first. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast, with a miniature evergreen as our centerpiece. After packing our things, we bid farewell to Janet and Gustavo, who despite working Christmas Day, had a warm smile and kind words to see us off.

We followed the winding Russian River through Sonoma County until it met with Pacific Highway 1. The dense fog lifted sporadically, allowing us a glimpse of breath-taking valleys, spectacular mountain tops and towering waves. In retrospect, the beauty was best in small doses because it helped prepare us for the awe-inspiring view of the Pacific Ocean. Huge waves crashing over rocky shores and the sounds of sea spray misting on the horizon made our Christmas drive the perfect gift.

An unforeseen advantage to the fog blocking our view of the distant landscape was that we got a closer look at the flora and fauna nearby. Two species stood out among the rest: "rain"-deer, and what we have determined must
Pacific Highway 1Pacific Highway 1Pacific Highway 1

Pacific Highway 1 winds along the ocean.
be a direct descendant of the dodo bird.

Over the course of our drive, typically within a few minutes of seeing a "Deer Crossing" sign, we were rewarded with an amazing close-up view of a total of six deer standing on the side of the road. (One actually crossed the road and jumped the fence!) Since it was Christmas, and it was raining, we have baptized them Santa's Rain-deer.

The second creature did not have the evolutionary know-how to stand on the side of the road. Rather, much to our dismay, we witnessed tiny white and black birds dotting the roadside for miles. At first we imagined it to be the result of the bird flu. However, after seeing one fly directly into our car, we discovered that they have no one but themselves to blame. We comforted ourselves by rationalizing our role as evolutionary catalysts in their quest for survival. The next generation will either stay off the road or fly above the cars.

We stopped for lunch at an Irish pub in a little town called Gualala. The Cypress Bar & Grill was the only place open for miles, but it was a good thing
"Rain"-deer"Rain"-deer"Rain"-deer

One of Santa's "Rain"-deer!!!
because the food was delicious! Seamus, the pub owner, and his wife, Susan, served five different beers on tap and delicious seafood. Allen had his first salmon burger with homemade French fries (como Abuelita Gladys!!!), and Marce had a heaping serving of fried calamari, each bigger than three of her fingers held together!

When night fell (approximately 5:00 PM, Pacific Time) we began our search for a place to spend the night. Fortunately, we found a hotel with ideal accommodations. If you ever find yourself in Fort Bragg, make your way to Ocean Side Inn & Suites, where Nick Patel will greet you with an affordable room (complete with mini-fridge and microwave) and, if you're lucky, he may even throw in some Champa incense to remind you of Christmas at Mashenka's house. *meep* Thanks Nick!

The hotel sign greeted us brightly from the side of the road. Our quest for dinner, however, was more challenging. But we were not to be dissuaded by the closed McDonalds and non-existent Domino's Pizza. Rather, we found a deliciously balanced dinner at the Circle K down the street, consisting of Cup-A-Ramen noodles, "flop" pockets - a.k.a. Hot Pockets without the crispy crust,
Mountains Rising!Mountains Rising!Mountains Rising!

Rock formations rise right out of the ocean!
and strawberry Pop-Tarts.

Tomorrow, we plan to rise early and make our way to the Avenue of the Giants... who knows, we might even hug a tree!


Advertisement



27th December 2005

Merry Late Christmas! Sounds like the trip is going well for you so far 8^)

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb