THE REDWOOD COAST TO SAN JOSE AND THE CUPERTINO HIGH SCHOOL 50TH REUNION


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Cupertino
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Monday, June 18th

Starting mileage was 27701 and temps were at 59 degrees this morning with blue skies.

Drove down highway 128 at a steep southeasterly angle away from the coast. Valerie and I decided that neither of us had ever traveled this pretty, curvy road before. I think we always traveled up the coast on either highway 1 or 101. We drove out of the redwoods after observing that many groves along this route were "named" with signs that stated that certain families had donated money to save them.

We discovered that no longer is grape growing contained just within the NapaValley and surrounds but all through these valleys from the ocean to the town of Coverdale. And the grape growing continues on all the hills down highway 101 until it collides around Petaluma with housing tracts and shopping centers. We stopped in the community of Coverdale to buy some bread and a few things, like more cokes, at the local grocery store before hopping on nearby highway 101. They wanted $5.00 a loaf for ordinary wheat bread and $2.49 for a liter of coke. Needless to say we walked out without purchasing a thing. We did spot a hair cutting place in the shopping center and both got ok haircuts. Mine is still a bit short as she kept "evening" out one side and then cut the other side to match. I had ok'd her cutting about 1/2 inch off and she cut about 2 inches off all over by the time she was satisfied. Oh, well--just hair that will quickly grow back.

At Petaluma, we found a Walmart and got the groceries we needed. We then began to look for a place to spend the night. Since we were so close now to "cities", there were very few places listed in our camping books---both AAA and Woodalls. We checked at a KOA in Petaluma knowing they are generally VERY expensive---however, we didn't expect the price of $58 per night for a partial hook-up and no discounts of any kind. The big rigs were paying over $100 per night and the place was packed with rigs and tents. When the cost is that high, we would rather stay in a motel/hotel especially, in the heat.

Got out the maps and books again and found that if we traveled along highway 37 at the top of the San Pablo Bay from 101 to the town of Vallejo on highway 80, that there was a reasonable priced RV park located there. We pulled in, after navigating through very slow bumper to bumper traffic, and stayed at the Tradewinds RV Park for $35 per night with hook-ups, but no free wifi.

June 19th, Tuesday through June 22nd, Thursday

Tradewinds RV Park, Vallejo Starting mileage at 27846 with blue skies and temperature at 62 degrees.

We left that morning and crossed over the CarquinezStrait on the bridge at Crockett and noted that the big sugar company was still doing business under the bridge. We traveled down through Richmond where our father's brother, Earl and his family lived, and then through Oakland and the other cities along the east side of the SF Bay. We missed the often weird and strange constructions made by "artists" that used to be on the mud flats before the ramps to the BayBridge. We noted the new freeway after the huge earthquake caused this section of the freeway to collapse. We also noted that the freeway was now 6 lanes on both sides and even though it was way passed rush hour, all the lanes were heavy with traffic like going north at 5:00 on 285 here in Atlanta. I think Californians have small cars so they can get more of them on a mile of highway or roadway.

When we got to the town of Fremont, we crossed on highway 237 at the end of the bay toward Mt.View where we had plans to stay at a RV park. This area was a real shocker! This used to be a 2 lane road through walnut and pear orchards. It was a most undesirable area because the end of the bay with its mud flats quite frankly SMELLED. It was where Agnew, the State Insane Asylum, as well as the metro sewage plant was located. As kids, if our parents went that way to drive up to our Aunt and Uncle's in Richmond we would hold our noses and complain. NOW, it is full of high tech companies and large hotels. It is landscaped to the nth degree and built up with small grassy hills and even has an electric trolley/train through it. It still smells, but of MONEY.

If you have followed this blog at all, you will note that we prefer to travel on small roads through small towns and communities. Many of these places especially in "tourist" areas have survived quite well, even flourished, but of course, those are the exceptions. Many who moved away and returned to their home towns for a visit are shocked at the boarded up vacant businesses and buildings. However, they would still "know" where they were if they had been blindfolded and set down without a clue in the middle of their hometown's main street. Not us!! The street names have been changed although we did recognize some of the names, but none of the "landmarks" we would have associated with the streets. If you set me down in the middle of the intersection and faced me away from my high school building, I could not tell you where I was. Nor would I have been able to tell you where I was along the main street of the town we grew up in. For example, the local grocery store location is now a huge new post office. We did spot the local tavern/bar still in place by the railroad tracks but it and the church I was married in was the only thing we recognized in Cupertino. Apple changed it all, as it is headquartered here.

We got to El Camino Real and found the RV park. This tiny park is squeezed onto a tiny lot and is full of long time residents---no room at all for overnighters. Didn't look like anyone had moved in or out in 25 years. So, wandered to the local Wal-mart and found that they were located in a shopping complex so no over-nighting there. By now quite frustrated, we called Diana and her husband Brad to see if they had any idea about where we could stay. They invited us to park in the visitor's area of their apartment complex, which we did for the next few days and the days of their 50th High School reunion. We did get the opportunity to visit our grandparent’s grave, buy some groceries, admire all of the unusual flowers, and do our laundry. I hung out here while most of the reunion was happening.

June 23rd, Friday through June 25th, Sunday--THE CUPERTINO HIGH SCHOOL 5OTH REUNION



The reunion consisted of three days: Friday, a meet-and-greet at a local grill/sports bar restaurant where we had a side room to ourselves. It was a little chaotic, with us getting our badges and trying to recognize people who were 50 years older. There were several people I knew as Diana, Brad, and I stepped into the room—mostly they were people from our old neighborhood. The food was pretty good pizza and there was plenty of it; so much so, that they put out take away boxes. We collected enough for breakfast(s) for the next couple of days! What was really nice was that several of the former Girl Scouts had pleasant things to say about both mom and dad.

On Saturday was a tour of the current CupertinoHigh School, which is under serious renovation as they are almost doubling their capacity over the next few years. We were amazed that the old dirt places between classroom wings now have planters and trees. For me, the highlight was seeing my name on the Hall of Fame I couldn’t remember when I was inducted and someone had told me they had taken them off the gym wall. They had, but they had moved them to the other side. Saturday evening was a buffet dinner, class picture, dancing, and entertainment. I tried to connect with most of my classmates that I wanted to be sure I met with because Sharon and I decided to head back home the next morning.

In general, I was glad I went. One is fortunate to still be around on the 50th, and most of the people who attended were in pretty good shape, and most now live away from where we grew up. We were also fortunate to have our exchange student from Austria come to the reunion (he now lives in Vienna). I was sorry that I didn’t find out any information about several people who seemed to have fallen off the radar, people I considered friends in high school. Well, maybe I will find out before the 75th!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.621s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb