Keep going until you hear glass break!


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's finally here! The planning is over. Also over is heavy-duty shock absorber research, detailed discussions of diesel engine performance, endless Amazon purchases of "Roadside Geology of Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Alaska...", Amazon super light wine glasses, Amazon photography books - the list doesn't end there, but is too embarrasing to continue. I'll be expecting a gift from Jeff Bezos come Christmas-time.

It's Sunday, departure day and it is raining. We go back to sleep.

Rain stops, we're up and in full packing mode. Car packed, Thule packed, bikes on racks, it's go time - but wait, one last fuzzy hug from the gang-'o-fur-kids we are leaving behind for the summer. Expecting them to be looking out the door, I walk in to 4 sleeping dogs. We've worn them out with our constant trips in and out and in again. They've crashed. They're worried, I can tell...

Off to the airport hanger to get her loaded and on our way. We share a hanger with a pilot who has 4 airplanes stored. He's off today with a friend in a single-engine beauty to AFRICA! Adventure has many definitions.

Finally, we pull away, out the gate and to get fuel. Now comes the glass break time! Pulling into the Pilot station in Springdale, we find the truck access is blocked by some person who is completely unaware that 2 excited people in an RV need to get into the driveway. Decision time, we have to pull through the station, past the cars getting gas and the people getting donuts, in a turn that ... well, it's not pretty. Behind us the noise of glass flying through the air, breaking, hitting the ground - thank God it's not a car, but the kitchen cabinet door that has flown open and a coffee mug became airborne and hit the refrigerator - nice, that's what I call an eventful beginning.

First stop, Sharp's RV Park, St. Joe, Missouri. Rick, the owner, has one space reserved for overnight travelers, like us. Full hook-ups and that's about it. This park (exaggeration - parking lot is a better description) is permanent residences for everyone, but us. Down the road a couple of blocks, everything you'd ever want in a shopping experience, from sporting goods to Sam's. Sadly, we didn't see any of it because we were exhausted - wine, Lean Cuisine, shower and bed. Good night, day 1.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb