31JAN11 to 01FEB11 - Hoover Dam


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
February 1st 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

31JAN11 - Travel to Hoover Dam

Got up, and a "turkey bacon" and eggs breakfast, just like yesterday. Packed up all my stuff, as I will not be returning to Phoenix on this trip, and got the car truck ready for the road. We hit the road at about 1100 headed to the Hoover dam, on the border of Arizona and Nevada. The trip was relatively uneventful. Stopped at a truck-stop to have a Quiznos, as we may not see another on this trip. Still yummy. This time I had a steak and cheese variety, as I thought I'd try something other than chicken for once.

We stop along the highway to take pictures of cacti and Joshua Trees. For the final leg to Hoover Dam, Heather let's me drive. The section that I'm driving is similar to some of our outback roads, that is, straight as an arrow. This part of the highway is also 2 lane each way. It feels really weird driving on the left side of the car. To make things even more difficult, Heather's Chevy Silvarado 3500 is bloody wide. I find I have to position myself almost on the left lane line to have the right wheels inside the right line. This is probably the hardest part of the drive. I quickly get the hang of sitting on the wrong side of the car, but the width of the truck is more complex to come to terms with. I think Heather is relative relaxed, but I'm not sure! I'm told that it is the law here, that if you are in the slow lane, and there is someone pulled off the road, you must change lanes, if safe, or slow right down when passing the car at the side of the road. Also, drivers here are a lot more courteous than back home.

Before we get to the scenic (and more curvy) section of the road, Heather takes over again, to let me check out the view (or so she says!) We pass over the new bridge, that was just recently opened, but I see none of the dam. The wall of the bridge is too high. We take the next exit, having passed into Nevada, to take the old road back to the dam. The old road is narrow and winding. Until recently, this was the only way to get from
Hoover DamHoover DamHoover Dam

Looking at the Dam from the "Mike O'Callaghan - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge". The long structures below the dam house the generators
Arizona to Nevada, or visa-versa, in these parts. I can see how this would be a massive bottleneck. Heather has taken this route twice, WITH her 37 foot RV in tow. Wow!!!! Almost everyone driving over the dam is taking it ultra slowly. I can inagine how frustrating it must be for those who just wanted to get where they were going to be trapped behind a long line of sight-seers.
We park in the free-parking area, which then requires a bit of a walk back to the dam. Because it's late and the visitors center is basically closing, we look around outside and take heaps of pictures. Now, I'm now engineer, but this thing looks amazing. Big. I am fascinated by the bypass tunnels. The lake, Lake Meade, which is the name of the man-made lake created by the construction of the dam, is quite beautiful. Many pictures taken and darkness descending upon us, we decide to make a break for the hotel.

The hotel is just 15 minutes away, in Nevada. It's called the Hasienda, and is a hotel/casino. The room costs us $20 for the night. That's the best deal since I've been in the states.
Gantt ChartGantt ChartGantt Chart

The Project Plan for the bridge.
The room is nothing special, but is more than we expected for $20. We go up to the room and unpack. We then proceed down to the dinning area and have a buffet if dinner. Not bad. I have turkey, fish, and scalloped eggs, with a small jelly for dessert.

Before we left the dam, we spoke to a security guard who advised that the best time for the dam tour is early in the morning, as the crowds start building at about 1000. This being the case, we agree to eat and run in the morning. A muesli bar and an apple should do.

01FEB11 - Hoover Dam Tour

For the first time in ages, I'm up early and we're in the car on our way to Hoover dam by 0845. We again park in the free-parking area and walk back to the visitors center. We get a ticket for the 0930 dam tour. We are impressed that we got here so early. The tour starts a few minutes early. This was a bit annoying, as I was in the bathroom, only to have the tour guide come in looking for me. I knew what the
Overflow ChuteOverflow ChuteOverflow Chute

What a ride this would be!!!!
time was, and I knew I had a few more minutes left. Apparently not.

The tour takes us into the dam via tunnels that were built into the structure. The Dam was designed to accommodate tourists from the start. The first major stop is the generators. These are all the way at the bottom of the dam wall. The generators are giant, and to top it off, we can only see the top quarter of the generator structure from our viewing position. The rest of the mechanism is under the floor. After viewing the turbines, Heather and I, and another couple, are taken to a point in the dam wall which leads out to a vent. From this vent, which is about half way down the wall, we can see the Colorado River as it exists the system. It's pretty awesome. To get to the vent, we have to walk over a steel grid, which is the only thing stopping us from falling into a very deep and steep shaft. The view is great. Take some pictures. After the official tour we finish the other exhibits. This includes a diorama depicting the entire Colorado River, showing all the dams and systems along its length. Impressive. The Hoover dam is only one of many dams that control the water level and generates electricity from the river. More exhibits and more pictures. After three hours at the dam, it's time to call it quits and move on to Las Vegas.

We booked rooms at the Flamingo Hotel, and we arrive there, following the GPS in the afternoon. Maneuvering in the car park is an exercise in skill and fear control. The car park is small for a normal passenger car. The clearance for the truck is minimal. I find myself ducking in the passenger seat, every time we pass a car park bulk head. We finally find a large free parking area and we back in. Well done Heather!

Check in, and then have lunch, as we are starving. After sitting around and relaxing for a bit, we decide to go for a walk on the strip. One of the first things we find is a Tiks booth. After a quick inspection, we purchase half priced tickets to Phantom of the Opera, tomorrow night.

We check out the Venetian and the Wynn establishments. The Venetian is simply amazing!!
Passage to nowherePassage to nowherePassage to nowhere

Passage leading to the great view, half way down the dam wall.
Real gondolas, shops, restaurants etc etc. The ceiling in one place is painted to look like dusk. You can very easily forget what time of day it is. I guess that's the point. The Wynn is also very large and grand. At one point I have a latte (costing $6!!) at one of the cafes. We need the time-out.

Back to hotel, soup for dinner (chicken noodle for me and French Onion for Heather. The French Onion soup here is quite thick with croutons and a layer of cheese over the top. Very different from the French Onion I'm used to seeing, which is typically a brown light watery concoction.

Bed at about 0200 (AM)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Lake MeadeLake Meade
Lake Meade

The man-made lake crated by Hoover Dam
Flamingo HotelFlamingo Hotel
Flamingo Hotel

Look who's playing
The Venetian - GondolaThe Venetian - Gondola
The Venetian - Gondola

A real gondola. There are several carrying people about. Remember, this is inside the building.
The Venetian - SquareThe Venetian - Square
The Venetian - Square

The square. Surrounded by restaurants. Check the Sky-scape.


16th February 2011

DONNY & MARIE :P so cool. When we go we're definately seeing them!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb