And... here we are in a 55+ RV Park for the holidays...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
December 27th 2008
Published: December 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Below sea levelBelow sea levelBelow sea level

This means a lot of climbing ahead of us...
Mike:

A quick update since Mexico:

We are alive, even though Sharon got hit by a car (don't worry, she's fine). She also got in a verbal confrontation in the dune-buggy haven of Glamis with a grumpy old bugger. This was right after we slept in a US Navy live aerial missile bombing range, not deliberately, of course. Cycled into Blythe and got tipsy during happy hour (aka a cooler of beer on the counter) at the local watering hole (the country bait-and-tackle shop), where we stayed the night. Crossed the border, entering the desert that is Arizona and were holed up in Quartzsite with rain. Lots of it. And it was cold. Who would have thought it...

Had a wonderful 22nd birthday in the 'Horsepilality RV Park' in Wickenburg, mainly because of a delicious vegan cherry pseudo-pie made by my lovely girlfriend. Eventually made it through the Phoenix GMA towards our destination - my grandparent's winter home in a 55+ RV Park in Florence. Since then, Sharon went to Phoenix to visit her mother while I played cards, rummy, pool, shuffleboard, and drank straight whiskey with my wonderful Oma and Opa.

Isn't this living?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Found this outside our random camping spot the next morning...
'Junior' goose hunt?'Junior' goose hunt?
'Junior' goose hunt?

Small children hunting big geese or big children hunting little geese?
Tumble weedsTumble weeds
Tumble weeds

They're a lot heavier than one might think
You tell me that's not urine.You tell me that's not urine.
You tell me that's not urine.

the I-10 ditches were absolutely FULL of these. I don't want to think about the logistics of this, but there are definitely some eyes not on the road and some hands not on the steering wheel.
Saguaro cactiSaguaro cacti
Saguaro cacti

We saw the first one within 100 metres of entering Arizona, no joke.
Camping in the desertCamping in the desert
Camping in the desert

We're happy now. We were NOT happy when we woke up to pouring rain and freezing temperatures...


28th December 2008

And the experiences continue......
Mike and Sharon - what wonderful photos and great captions! But.....hit by a car! camping atop live ammunition! rifles as prizes! You are living more experiences and making more memories than anyone could have dreamed. Keep enjoying your adventures and stay safe, healthy and happy. Come home to prosaic Alberta fulfilled and in one piece!
28th December 2008

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo!
Hey you two! Reading your journal is akin to being on the great adventure with you...well done! Happy Belated b-day, Michael...your cherry pie wouild rival even the fanciest bakery cake! Happy trails to come!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb