Hoover Dam - Williams Day Nine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
April 13th 2012
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was about an hour and a half's drive from Vegas to the Hoover Dam. The weather has changed here and it is really overcast and due to rain.

A few facts. The Hoover Dam straddles the Nevadaa/Arizona border and is 762 ft high, although it didnt look that high from the bridge we viewed it from. It was impressive though and is set within Lake Mead National Park, which is beautiful.

It is odd to be wearing coats, gloves and scarves such a short distance from Vegas, where we were hot in shorts and vest tops...

After the Dam, we drove on through Arizona, (the landscape is now rocky) which made a change from flat, open desert.

We made a stop in Kingman at a truckers diner for a coffee, to stretch out legs and then drove on to Williams, and arrived about 4pm.

The town is bigger than I imagined. It is all down one strip, which is packed with motels, native American stores and diners. It has charmed me.

Our motel (Grand Motel) is lovely and the owner (although slightly eccentric) is really friendly. People in general have been lovely and once they hear our accents, are keen to hear about London.

Our motel owner recommended a place for dinner - Cruisers Cafe 66 Grand Canyon Brewery and gaveus a 10% discount coupon for it. It was amazing. A 50's themed BBQ restaurant, that had its own micro brewery. It would have been rude not to try one of their beers, so after spilling the first raspberry wheat beer down me, I ordered another which was delicious.

It is freezing this evening and we are due snow tomorrow for our trip to Grand Canyon...heres hoping we can still see the hole!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb