Holbrook to Williams


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
July 14th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wigwam Motel 2Wigwam Motel 2Wigwam Motel 2

Holbrook, AZ
July 14 2010
Today would have been my Mom’s 87th birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! Wish you were here.

We Left Holbrook at 7:00 am for Joseph City where we saw the trading post “Howdy Hanks and Sitting Bull’s Indian Store and Ella’s Fronier log structure ruin. Also the Jackrabbit Trading Post.

On to Winslow Arizona, headed for Winona. Took our picture at “Standin on the Corner" in Winslow, AZ”. Winslow also has/had a Valentine Diner (now closed). You remember the rebuilt diner at the museum from a previous post. Also the La Posada Hotel which is a step back in time to the 1930s. Quite lovely. After leaving Winslow we had to jump on and off I-40 a few times.

We took a side trip to Meteor Crater which is a Natural Landmark. Tried to get some good pix. The Twin Arrows also has a ruin of a Valentine diner. It was difficult to navigate to get pictures because it is right on the on and off ramp for I-40. There are cement barricades in front so you have to stand on the ramps and hope no one hits you.
All there is in Winona is an iron
Wigwam Motel 4Wigwam Motel 4Wigwam Motel 4

Holbrook, AZ
bridge with a little of old 66 pavement.

Took some pictures of neon in Flagstaff. Also what is billed as the largest log cabin (Museum Club). Not so sure it is the largest. The ride into and out of Flagstaff and through Parks was beautiful. we drove through the Kaibab National Forest. It was a nice change of pace.

Finally into Williams where we will spend the night and head for the Grand Canyon tomorrow. We will probably be in Williams for 2 or 3 days. We went to Twisters in Williams. It is a 50s soda fountain. We each had a chocolate malt. It tasted just like I remember. Have not had one in years. YUM!!

Update on my face—it is getting better by the day. Thanks Karen, for the essential oils. Forgot to tell you yesterday that I maxed out my camera space in the Petrified Forest National Park.

'll probably do the same in the Grand Canyon.See you at the Grand Canyon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



15th July 2010

Arizona
I do recall the Wigwam Motel & the Arrows. Have always liked Winslow for some reason. Hooray for going to the meteor crater! I've flown over it several times, but that's as close as I've gotten. Thank you, Angelo, for being a patient sort. Love you!
16th July 2010

Hey....
Are you losing weight on this trip Andrea??? You look like you are!!! Just checking.
17th July 2010

Am I losing weight?
If I am it is because of all the sweating in Arizona. Too hot in the desert for me. See today's post.

Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb