Monsoons of Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Show Low
July 22nd 2013
Published: August 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Since 2012 was a big travel year for us we decided to kick back and relax in Arizona for awhile. The summer started out with a little bump in the road when Tom found out he had skin cancer. In June he had Mohs surgery in The Valley (as they call the Phoenix area) where the surgeon removed one layer of skin at a time, checked for cancer, and kept going until it was all gone. She bandaged his face up and sent him home. The next day I drove him to an eye surgeon who used part of his eye lid to reconstruct his face. Now all the ladies think he is winking at them! Once he was given the okay from the doc we left the 115 degree weather, driving a few hundred miles up the mountain to Show Low, Arizona, elevation of 6,000'.

We are at Juniper Ridge RV Resort which is a 55+ park that is "summer camp for seniors." The weather is in the mid-70 to mid-80 range. Monsoon rains happen almost every day but don't last long. The people are so friendly here. Our neighbors, Linda and Bob, have made us feel at home. Leona and Carl, whom we met at Verde Valley Thousand Trails this Spring, met up with us for a month.

We've played pickleball and golfed. Leona and I are taking line-dancing lessons. What fun! I talked Leona into entering their Kelsey (a Keeshond) in the Dog Safari and she took third place as best dressed! I think it was the silver purse covered with bling! Princess Belle, born with a front-paw deformity and must wear shoes to walk, took 1st place.

We did a Wine Tasting at the Lodge and the proceeds went to the Wounded Warriors ($800.) Next was a block party to meet all of our neighbors.

There is so much to do here it's difficult to make up our mind what to try next. Tom wants to go trout fishing so we will add that to our list. We'll be here through September and hope ya'll are enjoying your summer too!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Best DressedBest Dressed
Best Dressed

1st Place
Cowgirl DoggyTCowgirl DoggyT
Cowgirl DoggyT

Dog Safari
Leona & Kelsey Leona & Kelsey
Leona & Kelsey

Safari Parade


11th August 2013

Good to hear
We are glad Tom is OK. Looks like a real winner of a summer site. We are trying to figure out where to spend Jan and Feb maybe March. Any suggestions? Always look forward to your reports. Bob & Sandy
12th August 2013

Hi from B.C.
Hi Karen and Tom. Thanks for the note and pic's. Glad to hear Tom is OK.Lovely ,hot summer with golf course really busy. Make time speed by and before you know it we'll be heading south for the winter. Looking foreward to seeing you soon - well, sometime in the next 5 or 6 months !! Take care and please keep in touch. Love Nan and Rod

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb