"Not all those who wander are lost" (newest trailer sticker)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
April 25th 2013
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

West ForkWest ForkWest Fork

.....This guy keeps following us!!
We are still here in Sedona and really enjoying exploring the area. Since the last update:

One of our first days here we stopped into a local market by our campground and a girl gave us some "local" opinions on her favorite hikes in the area. Westfork she said was one of the most popular hikes so we figured we had to check that out! This would probably be voted Kona's favorite hike!! The hike is more like a walk into the canyons, with 13 river crossing and lots of swimming holes! The hike was 7miles in and out and we took our time playing in the water and trying to avoid the people traffic. The trail ends at a deep swimming hole where we ate a few snacks, took our shoes off and played a bit. The lady/daughter who took our family picture were from NH here on school vacation- small world.

We have been collecting stickers for the trailer on our way.... it should be pretty 'tat-ed up when we get back!

The nights have been cold here, down into the 30's. We did a little research on a campground a little south of Sedona and decided to give it a try since our time was up on our current site hoping for some warmer nights/mornings. After packing up camp, driving to the "new place" we realized it was much farther out of the city and away from hiking than we wanted- and ended up right back where we started! On the way we stopped at Midgley Bridge to check out why its so busy and found it to be an awesome swimming hole at the bottom of just a short hike into the canyon!!! We enjoyed walking up river and taking a river shower upstream. We'll revisit this spot!

We have been itching to see some canyon views from above. Wilson Mountain was another recommendation- and her top pick. It is listed as long and strenuous on the maps. We woke up at 5:30 to beat the heat and conquer this 13mile round trip hike. Our favorite hike so far- the views were incredible, like we were in a helicopter. You could see forever into the horizon, and pick out all of the famous peaks in the area. The hike was fun on the way in, not as 'strenuous' as either of us thought
it would be, yet it made you a little dizzy to turn around and see where we came from. We took a long break at the top enjoying a few snacks and some shade by the trees. The only people we shared the top with were the local lizards seeking some morning sun. The hike down was HOT, thankfully we got an early start and Kona had lots of "power treats" on the way up- no heat troubles today! The Wilson Mountain trailhead is off of Midgley Bridge so after the hike we headed right back to the river!!! (all before 1:00) We spent the afternoon riverside and then headed downtown for a sweet treat- for me, my favorite mint chip...and Jordan enjoyed a little taste of home (Apple Pie a'la mode).

Today was an enjoyable lo-key morning at camp after a long day yesterday. Jordan even set up a pedicure for me!! A trip into town for some groceries and we finally found our prize souvenir - and then had to spend the rest of the afternoon trying to find a box to protect it for the rest of the trip!!

Sitting here now canyon side, having
Wilson MountainWilson MountainWilson Mountain

...1/2 way up
a drink (cheeers) and waiting for the full moon to rise up over the peaks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement









Kona doesn't like the edge too much!
Fireside Pedicure!!! Fireside Pedicure!!!
Fireside Pedicure!!!

...not sure if this was a nice gesture or if my feet are fully showing a months worth of OPN-RD!!!!


25th April 2013

Wow cool pictures!
26th April 2013

Love Sedona
Great pictures and adventures.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb