Sedona - Arizona (So far...)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
April 21st 2013
Published: April 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We're in Sedona, Arizona

This had been a must visit spot for us from the onset, good friends Chris/Sarah made sure we allotted to spend some time here. Very nice so far, we paid upfront for 5 nights at the campground and we'll be anteing up for more tomorrow. Much to do and the views / rocks / colors / and downtown is awesome.

Our campsite is kind of down in a valley, minimal views from the campsite but we're minutes away from dramatic views and colorful red rocks, about 10 minutes north of town. Drastic temperature changes here. Night/AM lows are 29-30 degrees (ive been tracking with my cooking thermometer) and day time temps rise to about 85 and full sun. But it is dry and you dont have the sticky sweat accustom to a New England 85 degree day, its nice.

Day one was light - we set up camp and got established, and did a short but steep .7 mile hill to a nice view point. Kona found the COLD creek bed upon our return.

Day two - was a long hike, we started early to beat the sun/heat. We hiked Sterling Pass to Vultee Arch and poked out onto the arch once we got there. All and all about 8 miles. Comfortable hiking weather. Kona probably did about 15 miles....she runs up trail and runs back to check on us then runs up trail and repeats.... We left the car with about 2.5 gallons of water....kona drank almost 3 liters, she's a camel.

Day three - i itched the itch to mountain bike. Rented a crazy bike from the local bike shop and headed out. The bike was an Ibis brand, phat FOX shocks, beefy tires, carbon fibre frame, 30 lbs, and so on...about a $5,500 bike. Off i went with a very used trail map and some quick directions. Awesome biking terrain, slick rock sections, fast single track, technical climbs and technical traverses along drop offs. I could get used to biking out here...enjoyed.

Meanwhile, Kona and mommy hiked in the same general vicinity. Kona was reportedly full force, chasing any biker she saw and sprinting like a mad woman while impressing any onlookers with her agility on the rocks. She again drank like a camel, 1 full nalgene bottle = 1 liter PLUS an ocean spray bottle full of water = 2 liters. We're not sure where it all goes but she keeps asking for it, and she doesn't spill more than a few drops. Then she crashed and scared mommy pretty good. Repeatedly Kona was seeking any shady spot she could find and taking a break (unlike her) finally Shannon milked her back to the car and laid in the shade, then Kona started getting wobbly and her eyes were rolling back in her head, Shan blasted the AC hand fed her watermelon and nursed her back to life. Both were scared for a bit. By the time i saw Kona again she was back to normal like nothing ever happened. Probably a touch of heat exhaustion pooch style.

Day four - Easy day (not that the rest of these days arnt easy, but im just saying...) Laundry day, grocery shopping, reading our books, FIRE WOOD gathering, pizza for lunch on the grill. And an afternoon hike to Bell Rock to watch the sunset and the colors of the rocks move from like orange to dark orange to red to dark red.....thats why they call them Red Rocks...

Pics to follow



Enjoy

JP


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Cold MorningsCold Mornings
Cold Mornings

Good thing the chef has a heater
AM = Winter wearAM = Winter wear
AM = Winter wear

Can you find KONA (entirely under the blanked strongly disliking the AM cold)
Great HeronGreat Heron
Great Heron

Bunch of birdie watchers at the camp site making quite a todo about this guy nesting near the campsite


22nd April 2013
Bell Rock

HI GUYS BELL ROCK IS SOME BEAUTIFUL WHEN WE WERE THERE WE HIKED AROUND THE MOUNTAIN THE VIEWS WERE SPECTACULAR. SOME EVENING WHILE YOU ARE STILL THERE DRIVE UP TO AIRPORT GET THERE A LITTLE EARLY SO YOU CAN GET A GOOD SPOT, THE SUNSET FROM THERE IS AWESOME.LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME MISS YA. TAKE CARE.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb