Phoenix from the Couch


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
January 20th 2011
Published: January 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

A glance at Phoenix from the 26th floor.A glance at Phoenix from the 26th floor.A glance at Phoenix from the 26th floor.

"This isn't the Visitor's Center? I'll just take a picture as long as I'm up here!"

(Phoenix Christian School)

Welcome to Phoenix Christian Unified School! We’re parked at the Junior/Senior High, but there are preschool and elementary buildings across the street, as well as k-8 at an additional location. All the high school students attend here, though. There are over 300 students on this site.

We have a team of six couples, all new to us except one, and most of them new to each other as well! We’ll be together for three months, and a few of us for four! There was a hailstorm here shortly before we came, and most of the men’s jobs for now will be dealing with the aftermath of that. They’re repairing and re-shingling the roof on the elementary library, as well as exterior painting and some electrical work. The women began the week on three teams~~two ladies doing some spring cleaning in the preschool, two sewing costumes for the spring musical, one suffering back problems and not able to work, and one in the elementary library entering books into the computer and assigning barcodes. As the ladies finished cleaning, one is moving to the library and one to sewing…yep, I’m back in the library! It’s similar to the work I did in November, but with a different program. By the beginning of the third week we hope to have three in the library and three sewing…I’m staying with the books!

That makes it sound like other projects, but let me tell you about week two: Friday we had a fun tour riding the light-rail downtown. (Just three couples went, because John and Katie were trading trailers, and another couple was going with them to help. And Tim and Donna couldn’t go because of Donna’s back). That trip included a tour through the Arizona DiamondBacks Stadium…didn’t mean much to me (except that it’s a big place!) but it excited several others! They were hauling in dirt for a motocross thing over the weekend, which was interesting to watch. That evening Bob and I came down with the flu, and spent Saturday and Sunday in our bus. Sunday the other two couples from tour came down with the same thing, so only half our team worked Monday. And Tuesday. Wednesday we had everyone but Donna, and we thought we were on the mend, and then Thursday came and two of the women were back in bed. This is
One view from our window.One view from our window.One view from our window.

This is busy before, during, and after school....seems like there's always someone out there bouncing a ball!
like the flu on steroids. Bob and I went to the doctor Monday and he explained that there’s nothing to be done except stay in bed and drink liquids. That is not what we wanted to hear. The small consolation was that all six of us were experiencing the same symptoms, so we figured it must be the normal route of the germs. The Well Ones would drop by our rigs and offer kind words, but they didn’t want to come in, and they were quick to cancel our social night! As the week coughed on, they also cancelled tour for the week two! They do not want to play with the Sick Ones! Even when we began going back to work, they chose not to have devotions with us in the mornings! And we’re all praying they don’t get it.

As I write this, on Thursday of the second week, there hasn’t been a single day on this project that we’ve had everyone at work. Bob and Jan have worked 78 projects (isn’t that amazing? What commitment to the Lord.) and they’ve never missed a work day due to illness. Until now. I tell you, it’s a peculiar
This is on the other side of the fenceThis is on the other side of the fenceThis is on the other side of the fence

seen in the last picture. I jog the track each morning before devotions. ok, that just plain wasn't true, and those of you who know me weren't fooled for a second! But I have walked it a few times.
project. And Bob and I haven’t seen anything of Phoenix, except for a really nice walk-in clinic. I told Bob I don’t like Phoenix, but he says he doesn’t think it’s Phoenix I’m having trouble with! Hopefully this weekend we’ll be able to do some exploring.

So, now that you’ve heard my medical report, I’ll post some of the pictures that I have from the tour. And maybe I’ll have something exciting to write about next time!

Wash your hands often, and drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep……



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Chase Field...Chase Field...
Chase Field...

Home of the DiamondBacks.
Morning devotions...Morning devotions...
Morning devotions...

before the plague set in!
We went to a dinner theatreWe went to a dinner theatre
We went to a dinner theatre

put on by the junior high students. It was Aesop's Fables, and was cute!


21st January 2011

Hey you two - glad to hear that you are now on the road to recovery (bet you wish you had two bathrooms in your home on wheels). What a bummer! Also glad that you have a great project and that you are doing something you like to do. I (Rosi) have attracted the "Cedar Fever" apparently lots of people get it and now i do too. You really don't get a fever with it just asthma conditions. Went to the Dr. yesterday and it has turned in bronchitis? So a stop at the pharmacy and home with a "boatload" of meds to take. The Doc told me to get lots of rest - but some of the meds state "you may have trouble sleeping"...go figure. It was really cold here last night and will be freezing for the next week at night. Glad you are feeling better, say HI to everyone on your team for us. Another great blog.
22nd January 2011

Hi, Rosi!
I hope you're feeling better. This flu hasn't hit the stomach, it's all in the breathing and coughing. Coughing must burn calories, right? Get better fast. Miss you!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb