Phoenix Zoo and Rawhide


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
September 24th 2005
Published: October 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Phoenix Zoo Phoenix Zoo Phoenix Zoo

This is the view of the African Savannah at the Phoenix Zoo. A lot of animals wandering around together.
Wow...September 24th was a doozy of a day.

We visited the Phoenix Zoo and wanted to get an early start because the temperatures were supposed to top 100 degrees. Well, the weather forecast was right....it was over 100 degrees with a bright, hot unrelenting sun today. Absolutely NO breeze whatsoever. We arrived at the zoo shortly after it opened at 9:00am and it was already in the high 80's low 90's. The zoo was nice....there is an open African Savannah where giraffes, oxen, ostriches, etc roamed around together. The zoo has nice, wide paths and they allow people to bring their bikes. So, families were riding together all over the zoo. Kim and I wandered around the zoo, snapping pictures and just thoroughly enjoying the day.

After adding to our now bright pink,red sunburns.....we decided to go back to the hotel room and relax.

Later in the evening we drove out to Scottsdale to a place called Rawhide. It's a tourist attraction old west themed place where you can shop, dine, ride stagecoaches, ride burros, and see staged gunfights. There isn't really anything 'authentic' about it (especially after seeing Tombstone) but it's another one of those places that
Phoenix Zoo Duck PondPhoenix Zoo Duck PondPhoenix Zoo Duck Pond

This is the duck pond at the Phoenix Zoo.
is just fun. I wanted to visit Rawhide during this trip because I remember my parents and grandparents taking me here when I was little. I also remember taking my little brother here when HE was little. I also found out that Rawhide is moving to a new location....so it was a nostalgic good-bye.

Kim and I had a great steak dinner....listened to some live country music and then did some shopping. And of course....we took some more pictures. We were lucky enough to see a beautiful Arizona sunset.

As much as Kim and I are looking forward to getting to Las Vegas.....we fell in love with Arizona and will be sad to leave.

TOMORROW WE LEAVE FOR LAS VEGAS......STAY TUNED.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lizard Lunch BreakLizard Lunch Break
Lizard Lunch Break

I don't remember the proper name of this lizard....but he sure was enjoying his lunch of yellow flowers.
Entrance to RawhideEntrance to Rawhide
Entrance to Rawhide

This is the entrance to Rawhide "Wild West Town".
Mission Patio at RawhideMission Patio at Rawhide
Mission Patio at Rawhide

Patio area at Rawhide....
Bright Sun on the Mountains...Bright Sun on the Mountains...
Bright Sun on the Mountains...

The town was in shadows....while the bright sun shone on the cactus and mountains in the distance.
Sunset in the  DesertSunset in the  Desert
Sunset in the Desert

Sunset in Scottsdale, AZ 9/24/2005.
River Wash in Scottsdale, AZRiver Wash in Scottsdale, AZ
River Wash in Scottsdale, AZ

When crossing bridges over 'rivers' sometimes this is all you see. No water....not until it rains.


3rd October 2005

Sounds like you guys are having an awesome time! Stay safe and have fun!
4th October 2005

Where's MJ
We have seen lizards, squirrels and various other wildlife....where's MJ? Hope you have enjoyed your trip. Good luck in Las Vegas.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb