Grand Canyon to Lake Havasu


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Lake Havasu City
September 13th 2012
Published: September 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In order to catch the sunrise from Yaki Point we rose at 5am (a much more agreeable time than 4am as would have needed to do in Death Valley).


Yaki Point is only accessible to the free shuttles around the park, so we headed to the Visitor Information Centre, and caught the shuttle from there. Observed an interesting phenomena in the sky, and we are still not sure exactly what it was. Emma thought it might have been a shooting star and made a wish just in case, but the bus driver thought it looked like an exploding fuselage from an aircraft. Not sure exactly, and pray that is not the case, but if it was what the driver thought, please don't worry Mum - we were not on it.

Perfect weather today, so the sunrise was amazing to watch. Pretty cool seeing the sun peek over the rim and then watching the light creep down the canyon walls.

Spent the rest of the day driving the rim to see it from different vantage points including Yavapai Point, Grand View, Lipan Point and Desert View.

We had planned to watch the video at the IMAX theatre but we got there 10 minutes too late, and really didn't have time to wait for the next viewing in an hours time, as it was already 1.40pm and we still had a long drive ahead of us.

Lake Havasu is a nice place for a stopover. Kids had a swim in the lake, and our accommodation is great. Heading for Palm Springs tomorrow, and plan to stop in at Joshua Tree National Park along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



16th September 2012

Grand Canyon
Room 14 and Mrs Morris are loving following your trip. We have just looked at Sarah's blog too. What an amazing time you are all having. Looking forward to seeing Sarah soon! Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Sheryl(Mrs Morris)
19th September 2012

photo
love the pic of Brett hanging on to Emma's ponytail as she leans over the Grand Canyon!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb