Visits with Family and the London Bridge (not falling down)


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Skip and MarySkip and MarySkip and Mary

at Skip's church in Chandler
Wednesday morning we went to Skip and Mary’s for breakfast. Mary went to Einstein’s and got their wonderful bagels, Gena brought some of their country eggs, and we brought sausage. After this huge breakfast we loaded up into 2 cars and set out first for Skip’s church in Chandler, south of Phoenix, then to Mary’s church, north of where they live. Both very nice churches and we got to meet their church secretaries and some other nice people. Then back to their house, where we had sliders for lunch. Then Gena bathed the dog, the men fell asleep and we did some laundry. Gena, Mary and I sat and visited and looked at pictures most of the afternoon. Mary had a meeting that night, so Skip took us to dinner at a sports bar and grill in Scottsdale. Good food and lots of sports memorabilia on the walls. We said our goodbyes in the parking lot and drove back to the campground.

This morning we drove west on I-10 through dry, dusty, flat lands. The city sprawls westerly for a long way. We could barely make out the mountains far to the west. The air was full of dust from
Cell phone towerCell phone towerCell phone tower

in Chandler
an overnight dust storm. We turned north at Quartzsite, a nothing town whose popularity is a mystery to me.

Around Parker we found ourselves driving through rocky canyons in all shades of brown, red and gray. It would have been breath-taking if the air was clearer, but it was spectacular nonetheless. We stopped at Cattail Cove State Park south of Lake Havasu City. Once we set up the campers we went into the city to see the London Bridge, which was moved there piece by piece in 1968. Quite a sight to see.

It’s pretty hot this afternoon, dry heat or not. Just Hot. The breeze helps, but at 97 degrees, when the wind dies, it’s hot.

More later…


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Skip and MarySkip and Mary
Skip and Mary

at Mary's church
view of the lakeview of the lake
view of the lake

Lake Havasu
Lake HavasuLake Havasu
Lake Havasu

hazy mountains in background
Here we areHere we are
Here we are

London Bridge behind the fountain
DragonDragon
Dragon

guarding gates to London
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

moved to Lake Havasu in 1968


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb